Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 9k vPC

We have the scenario (have a look at the Visio) that we need a vPC over all our 4 Nexus Switches in two different DC's to get this virtual loadbalancer working in a active active with loadbalancer 1 and 2.

Our current configuration is a vPC in both DC's and between the DC's is a Port-Channel with two links.

Two options come to my mind:

1. vPC over all 4 Nexus Switches

Is it possible to build a vPC over 4 Nexus Switches? I found a Best Practice sheet from Cisco in which i read that a vPC can only be configured with max 2 Nexus Nodes. Can anyone confirm this?

2. Break Port-Channel 30, create a vPC between Core1 / Core3 and connect Loadbalander1 only with Core1 and Loadbalancer2 only with Core3

For this I need the option to configure multiple vPC's on one Nexus. Is this possible or can I configure just one vPC on one Nexus?

Maybe someone has another idea how we can solve this issue.

Thanks!

image.png

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

M02@rt37
VIP
VIP

Hello @Florian Henghuber 

vPC can only be configured between a maximum of two Nexus switches. This is because vPC is a technology that enables you to configure a Port-Channel between two switches and treats them as a single logical entity, which provides redundancy and load balancing benefits.

It's not possible to configure multiple vPC domains on the same Nexus device. A vPC domain is a logical entity that represents a set of Nexus switches that are configured with the same vPC domain ID. The purpose of a vPC domain is to ensure that the same vPC domain ID is used across all switches in the vPC domain to avoid potential configuration issues or inconsistencies.

In general, a vPC domain is created on a pair of Nexus switches that are configured with a vPC peer link. The vPC peer link is used to synchronize control plane information between the 2 switches and provides a loop-free path for forwarding traffic across the vPC domain. Each vPC domain can have only 1 peer link, which connects the two switches that are part of the vPC domain.

Best regards
.ı|ı.ı|ı. If This Helps, Please Rate .ı|ı.ı|ı.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

M02@rt37
VIP
VIP

Hello @Florian Henghuber 

vPC can only be configured between a maximum of two Nexus switches. This is because vPC is a technology that enables you to configure a Port-Channel between two switches and treats them as a single logical entity, which provides redundancy and load balancing benefits.

It's not possible to configure multiple vPC domains on the same Nexus device. A vPC domain is a logical entity that represents a set of Nexus switches that are configured with the same vPC domain ID. The purpose of a vPC domain is to ensure that the same vPC domain ID is used across all switches in the vPC domain to avoid potential configuration issues or inconsistencies.

In general, a vPC domain is created on a pair of Nexus switches that are configured with a vPC peer link. The vPC peer link is used to synchronize control plane information between the 2 switches and provides a loop-free path for forwarding traffic across the vPC domain. Each vPC domain can have only 1 peer link, which connects the two switches that are part of the vPC domain.

Best regards
.ı|ı.ı|ı. If This Helps, Please Rate .ı|ı.ı|ı.

Thanks a lot for your detailed answer.