Views
Helpful
Replies

Password recovery procedure not working on Nexus 3048

john.blackmon
Beginner
Beginner

I have followed the password recovery procedure documented here:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/sw/password_recovery/b_nx_os_pwr/nx_os_pw.html

The process appears to succeed (I even used a password direct from the document)...

switch(boot)# config terminal
Enter configuration commands, one per line. End with CNTL/Z.
switch(boot)(config)# admin-password 2009AsdfLkj30
WARNING! Enabling local authentication for login through console due to password recovery
switch(boot)(config)# exit
switch(boot)# reload
This command will reboot this supervisor module. (y/n) ? y
[ 80.251557] Restarting system.

. . . OUTPUT OMITTED . . .

But then I'm not able to log in with that password:

Nexus 3000 Switch
login: admin
Password:
Login incorrect

Am I doing something wrong? This is a known-good switch. I just haven't logged into it since March and forgot what password I used (it's a home lab device). At this point I would be happy to reset the switch to factory defaults. I tried to erase nvram but that doesn't appear to have done anything at all. 

Thanks.

1 Reply 1

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi John,

After you change the admin password using the admin-password command and exit from the configuration mode, do not reload the switch. Instead, please enter the load bootflash:system-image-name.bin command to load the system image, and after it loads, log in using the "admin" username and the newly configured password.

Please give this a try and let us know. Thank you!

Best regards,
Peter

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: