Views
Helpful
Replies

Port Profiles - link speed for VMs and vMotion

ionutnica
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I'm a bit new to this portal, but I did do some reasearch on the forums and came up empty for an answer to this question:

When you create a port profile on the 1000V how do you specify what link speed are those ports operating at?

I mean say I'd want to create a port profile for VM data and another profile for vMotion.

What is the link speed for these types of profiles?

Is there any way to set it?

Is it inherited from the uplinks?

Thanks,

Ionut

9 Replies 9

Robert Burns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Ionut - Welcome to the forum!

The speed of the port-profiles is limited by one of three things:

- Physical Adapter speed (when transmitted inter-VEM)

- Host processor (Intra-VEM)

- QoS Policy (both)

So you wouldn't normally set a "speed" in a Port Profile, but you can allocate a QoS policy & prioritize a portion of the link's bandwidth to it.  (New in SV1.4 released just today!)

Regards,

Robert

Ok,

So when connecting a 10G vNIC from a Palo for example and then creating a port profile for vMotion vMotion will work as 10GB link?

Also when you said host processor, what is exactly is meant by that.

The vem module is like an agent running on the host, is there anything that can be done to ensure the host will not be the bottleneck?

Thanks,
Ionut

You can be limited by the unlaying NIC.  With Palo, even though you can create up to 56 x 10G vNICs, the physical bandwidth is shared/queued among all vNICs.  So yes - if the bandwidth is available, you'll run at close to line rate.

What I mean by limited by host CPU, is the VEM is a software switch.  The switching is done in software, so as fast as the host can process packets, will dictate how fast local switching will occur.

The VEM DPA (Dataplane Agent) runs inside the ESX kernel.  The resources used by this agent are minimal and will not likely ever be your bottleneck if/when there is one.  Your physical links will always become saturated far faster than your host switch in software.

Robert

Can somebody PLEASE tell me how to "UNSUBSCRIBE" from these Nexus 1000v e-mail threads?

I've already edited my profile many months ago and created e-mail rules to block these messages but for some reason, I cannot unsubscribe from these threads?

Can someone please let me know how to unsubscribe, I no longer need to receive any e-mails from any of you concerning Nexus 1000v?

Where is Han?  Can he help?

Thank you,

-Mr. Garza

Can somebody PLEASE tell me how to "UNSUBSCRIBE" from these Nexus 1000v e-mail threads?

I've already edited my profile many months ago and created e-mail rules to block these messages but for some reason, I cannot unsubscribe from these threads?

Can someone please let me know how to unsubscribe, I no longer need to receive any e-mails from any of you concerning Nexus 1000v?

Thank you,

-Mr. Garza

Thank you,

-Mr. Garza

Thank you,

-Mr. Garza

alonzo.garza
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you,

-Mr. Garza

alonzo.garza
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you,

-Mr. Garza

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: