cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Purpose of VM-Uplink versus System Uplink

bparr
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

In virtual center Hosts/networking/DVS page, what is the purpose of the vm-uplink versus the system-uplink?

7 Replies 7

mihanlin
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

The VM-Uplink port-profile for passing the VM traffic to an upstream switch so they have connectivity to the rest of your network.

The System Uplink port-profile is for connecting your Virtual Ethernet Modules (VEMs) to eachother and the VSM. This port-profile carries your control and packet vlans.

It's recommended you keep these as two physical ports, however you can make them one.

Thanks,

Michael

Is there a step-by-step procedure for configuring them as the same? The documentation I have found is light on details.

Just combine the two port-profiles into one. In the "switchport trunk allowed vlans" make sure to list all the vlans of both profiles and make sure the system vlans are set for control and packet.

Also make sure your physical port is set to carry all the allowed vlans as well.

Then just add a nic to that uplink port-profile and you should be set.

Hi,

I have only to vmnic on VEM.

• vmnic0
  • vmnic1

Now I can use vmnic1 when I add ESX host to DVS.

And I am assigning port-profile system-uplink ( as shown in installation guide ).

But now what about vm-uplink as I dont have other vmnic to assign it.

I read these replies but still I dont have clear idea about this.

How can I combine vm-uplink and system-uplink?

In short I have setup environment in which VSM-vCenter & VSM-VEM communication works fine.

But VM on VEM have no network connectivity.

Thanks.

Hi,

As Louis suggested you can add the data VLANs used by your VM in the same System-Uplink Port-Profile, which you have assigned to vmnic1.

(For E.g. add "switchport trunk allowed vlan add <data-vlan1,data-vlan2...>" to your System-Uplink Port-Profile).

OR

a) Migrate all the virtual Nic's such as vsiwf0/vmk0 to DVS.

b) Now add vmnic0 to DVS and use it as VM-Uplink.

Thanks,

Mohan

Hi,

I done steps you suggested.

But there was also a interface configuration mistake.

I use 190 (control) , 191 (packet), 192 (data) vlans.

If I kept native vlan id on ethernet port 192 and on vethernet I keep access vlan to 192, it work fine.

Configuration is done as follows.

n1000v(config-if)# copy run start
[########################################] 100%
n1000v(config-if)# exit
n1000v(config)# interface ethernet 3/2
n1000v(config-if)# switchport mode trunk
n1000v(config-if)# switchport trunk native vlan 192
n1000v(config-if)# switchport trunk allowed vlan 1,190-192
n1000v(config-if)# exit
n1000v(config)# interface vethernet 1
n1000v(config-if)# switchport mode access
n1000v(config-if)# switchport access vlan 192

n1000v(config-if)#

Is this right way of configuration?

As I have no exact idea about these terms can you please explain me what is "Native vlan id"?

Thanks

You really don't want to modify the interfaces directly. You want to create and change the port-profiles and assign VMs and uplinks to the port-profiles. This way you only have to make the change once on the port-profile and every interface that you add automatically gets the right config.

A Native VLAN is a VLAN that is untagged. When you trunk the frames are tagged with the vlan on which they belong. The native vlan is not tagged. If the switch or host receive a frame on a trunk that is not tagged it assumes its the native vlan.

If you had to add the "native vlan 192" on your uplink that means that 192 is not being tagged on your physical trunk between the real switch and the esx host.

If you have access to the physical switch you should be able to see the port configuration between the switch and esx host looks similar to what you have below for the uplink configuration.

louis