Views
Helpful
Replies

Question about VDC on Nexus 6001 and 6004

j-carles
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I wonder if Nexus 6001 and 6004 support virtual contexts (VDC). I thought they couldn't but I found a brief reference of it (at least for Nexus 6004) in a Cisco Live 2013 presentation (BRKARC-3453 Cisco Nexus 6000 Architecture). It shows Nexus 6004 supporting 8 contexts.

I cannot find a clear reference in any other Cisco documentantion.

Any clue?

Regards,

Carles

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Carles,

That is a very old slide from Sina. The hardware was capable but engineering could not commit this in the software. Hence BU has decided against the support and is officially not supported on N6K.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

-amit singh

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

DANIEL LORCA
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Carles

No, not that I know. VDC are only available on the Nexus 7000.

8 context are just supported on the Supervisor 2E card.

http://www.cisco.com/web/europe/ciscoconnect2013/pdf/CC_13_DATACENTER-3_Cisco_Hans_Donnerborg_FINAL.pdf

best regards

dani

Hi Dani,

That's also what I know so far.

I've attached a copy of the slide in Sina Mirtorabi's presentation (Technical Marketing Engineer).

Anybody?

Regards,

Carles

VDC-6004.png

Hi Carles,

That is a very old slide from Sina. The hardware was capable but engineering could not commit this in the software. Hence BU has decided against the support and is officially not supported on N6K.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

-amit singh

Hi Amit,

Even if I don't like the answer, it helps. :-)

Hope it changes someday.

Regards,

Carles

Any change here ?

To my knowledge the Nexus 6k still does not support VDC's. Need to rely on N7k's for VDC functionality.

-- CCNP, CCIP, CCDP, CCNA: Security/Wireless Blog: http://ccie-or-null.net/

To support VDCs it would be better to have redundant supervisors form feature development and operational point of view. Neither N5K or N6K has supervisor level redundancy.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: