cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Redundant Paths w/ CNAs and Nexus 1000v (w/ FCoE)

nashwj
Level 1
Level 1

Background:

Installing some ESX 4.0 servers using Emulex CNAs connected to Nexus 5020s.  We're also using the Nexus 1000v.  Each server has two CNAs (single port) with each one connected to a different Nexus 5K.  We are using the 5K and CNAs for both 10Gb Ethernet and FCoE.  What's the best way to do redundant paths?

I can't do vPC.  If I put the two connections from a server in to a vPC I can't bind a vFC to it. The 5K won't let me.  So I thought I'd use vPC-HM on the 1000v side.  But, am I correct in reading that if you do this you still have to put each port in a channel-group on the 5K side by itself?  If so, that won't work either due to the vFC issue.

If I just uplink both CNAs to the same system-uplink profile I can't duplicate frames (and a loop).

What are my options?

2 Replies 2

pfazzone
Level 1
Level 1

I believe that VPC-HM should work for you in this case, since the N1K is handling the ethernet side of things before the FCoE traffic gets muxed with the Ethernet traffic in the CNA.  I have asked a few experts to chime in for a more detailed answer.  Thanks!

pf

marcodb
Level 1
Level 1

I'm not sure why you say:

If I put the two connections from a server in to a vPC I can't bind a vFC to it

vFCs can be bound to virtual port channels. Maybe you're trying to bind the vFC

to the physical members of the vPC. Have you tried to bind the vFC to the port

channel itself (the logical port)? When a virtual Port Channel exists, the vFC

must be bound to the virtual Port Channel, not to the member ports. Note that

only the physical ports on the local switch will be used for the vFC

You can find more information here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus5000/sw/configuration/guide/cli_rel_4_1/Cisco_Nexus_5000_Series_Switch_CLI_Software_Configuration_Guide_chapter31.html#task_12735881956

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card