cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

requirements for upstream physical switch

asigra123
Level 1
Level 1

I am confused about the physical requirements for the implementation of the Cisco Nexus 1000V. I have 2 VMware clusters one ESXi 4.0 update 2 and one ESXi 4.1. Each ESX host has 4 NICs connected to a D-Link layer 2 physical switch and each has one vSwitch with all the physical NICS attached to it. Is this enough to implement a Cisco Nexus 1000V?

Thank you very much for your help.

5 Replies 5

abbharga
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

The following deployment guide might help you with some of your implementation / deplyoment queries:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps9441/ps9902/guide_c07-556626.html

./Abhinav

That document is so general so it's useless. I would like to know the specific requirements for the physical upstream switch. Is this layer 2 or layer 3?

Thank you for your help.

The upstream switch can be a L2 switch.

My Layer 2 switch does not support VLANs. Should I configure in a special way the uplinks or any other component?

Thank you for your answer.

You obviously won't be able to tag VLANs on the physical VMNIC uplinks, but a basic layer2 switch that doesn't support VLANS (and by proxy, STP) should still suffice for untagged connectivity to the vSphere hosts.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: