Views
Helpful
Replies

VEM installation failure

tkrisher193
Level 1
Level 1

Hello.

I am having an issue adding hosts to the vNDS.

The issue started after I removed the two original blade servers, brought 1000v up on the new blade server, completely rebuilt to two original blades and added them to the new cluster. Now that I have the new cluster built and all four blades associated. I can not add any hosts to the Nexus 1000v vNDS. The process Reconfigure vNetwork Distributed Switch hangs at 74% and then errors out with the following error:

"Reconfigure vNetwork Distributed Switch:Cannot complete a vNetwork Distributed Switch operation for one or more host members.

See the error stack for details on the cause of this problem.
Time: 10/27/2010 11:45:40 AM
Target: usdgsw-nxos-01
vCenter Server: AME - NVV Lab
Error Stack
vDS operation failed on host usdeesxtst01.dca.tetrapak.com, An error occurred during host configuration. got (vim.fault.PlatformConfigFault) exception
"

When the original blades were removed, they were pulled and completely rebuilt. No vem commands were entered on the hosts before they were removed. The 1000v did have the vem id's of the original blades present in the config.

Is there a way to get around this?

Best regards,

Troy

3 Replies 3

lwatta
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Troy,

I've not seen that particular issue happen before. Usually you can wipe a host and add it back. Did you remove the host from the cluster and DVS and in vCenter? or are you simply trying to reconnect them? Does vCenter still think the ESX hosts have a stale DVS on them?

What versions of ESX and N1KV are you running?

louis

Hello Louis,

We did remove the host from the cluster, but we did not remove the DVS but the hosts do not show up in DVS. We ended up creating a new cluster to enable EVC.

ESX 4.1

Nexus version 4.0(4)SV1(3a)

Also, I noticed that the new blade uses vem module 5 but the status is 'absent'.

Troy

Resolved.

I ended up installing the VEM from the cli and then migrating the host from vSphere.

Best regards,

Troy

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card