cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VMWare DRS & VSM

ryan.lambert
Level 1
Level 1

First off, thanks everyone who has answered my small barrage of questions lately, both on and off-line. We've really been making progress in our N1KV rollout and it's much appreciated.

Hopefully this one is an easy one. I was reading the 1000v product architecture looking for information about using DRS with the VSM across a series of hosts, and located this. Wanted to make sure I am interpreting it correctly:

VMware vSphere Feature Compatibility

The Cisco Nexus 1000V Series is supported with the following VMware vSphere features:
<snip>

• VMware Distributed Resource Scheduler (DRS)

<snip>

I'm taking this as I can safely (most important part) utilize DRS to move my VSM around between hosts, such as would be the case with any other guest enabled with this feature -- not necessarily that it will facilitate the use of this feature for guests, with the VSM guest instance as the sole exception. Am I correct in my interpretation?

Thanks again.

-Ryan

2 Replies 2

Lukas Mazur
Level 1
Level 1

hi ryan,

since version 1(2) VMotion of VSM VMs is supported and therefore the placement of VSMs in a DRS Cluster (VMotion is the underlying technology of the DRS Cluster itself).

the only thing you should consider when placing the primary and secondary VSMs on a DRS Cluster is to define anti-affinity rules for those 2 VMs so that they wont get VMotioned to the same host by DRS.

affinity.PNG

hope this helps

Lukas

Thanks Lukas, that makes sense.

Wanted to be sure I was reading it correctly.