Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 9300 docker application hosting

rohitdhobale
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Community,

I am trying to install sample docker application on Catalyst 9300 ( ios xe 17.09.01) using these general instructions. Application (.tar) is deployed successfully on usb flash drive and its current state is DEPLOYED.

While activating application, I am getting below error,
% Error: Required: 10. Platform does not have enough storage, available storage 0

The usb flash is 120 gb size and dir command output shows 0 bytes free. However, the drive has only 15 gb size content (sum of sizes in dir command output). Is there any way to resolve this?

Also, if the docker application requires database to store data (outside the container), is there any recommendation? Is it through docker volume?

Your support and advice is greatly appreciated.
Rohit

5 Replies 5

Marcel Zehnder
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi Rohit, I think only Cisco signed Apps can be hosted on flash. See [1]

In releases prior to Cisco IOS XE Amsterdam 17.3.3, application hosting requires dedicated storage allocations, and is disabled on the bootflash.

In Cisco IOS XE Amsterdam 17.3.3 and later releases, application hosting is enabled on the bootflash, however, only Cisco-signed applications are hosted.

[1] https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios-xml/ios/prog/configuration/171/b_171_programmability_cg/application_hosting.html

Agree. I am fairly new to switch terminologies. I said usb flash drive in the question and I meant to say on SSD.
I am able to run below command,

app-hosting install appid demoapp1 package usbflash1:/demoapp.tar

But when tried to activate the app, the command is failing with error,

% Error: Required: 10. Platform does not have enough storage, available storage 0

The SSD is 120 GB size and the contents I can see in dir command are of 15 GB size. But, the dir command also says 0 bytes free.

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You do not need any Additional SSD from 17.3.X  onwards, you can directly install on flash. (example thousand eyes)

what kind of docker are you installing?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Yes, but the programmability guide says only Cisco signed application can be directly installed on flash.
Do you mean docker application? I am trying to install simple container app with test program which generates sample output file.

Hi,

Thousand Eyes application is Cisco app. Do you have confirmation or guide etc. how to deploy 3rd party docker containers on regular flash of the C9300 switch without SSD?
The app-hosting option to turn off signature verification is not working without SSD. 

According app-hosting restrictions article it seems only Cisco signed apps are allowed on the flash, but maybe there is a way how to sign application.

If you have more information on the topic, please share it would be highly appreciated.

Thank you.

BR Martin Orlich