cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Connection problems with ESA C160 and WSA S160

FLOYD SALAZAR
Level 4
Level 4

currently I have deployed ESA C160 and WSA S160 devices in a network but I cannot remotely connect to the devices.

I have installed Cisco 2811 Terminal server with octal cable connections and cannot seem to get terminal access.

As well I have connected the Management Interface to a local switch and provisioned VLANs on subnet 192.168.42.X to allow for access but no connection seems to work to gain access to the devices.

I am wondering if there is a specific cable configuration or connection which will allow me access to the applicances for configuration.

Any help is appreciated!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Greetings Floyd,

Were you able to connect to the C160 via serial ? If not make sure that the cable is  a standard 9-pin null modem cable. For information on how to connect to a Email Security Appliance using serial, you can refer to the KB article below:

Knowledge Base Answer ID: 1388

http://tinyurl.com/np38tq

Hope this information helps.

Regards,

Jyothi Gandla

Customer Support Engineer

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

HI

Are you attempting a remote connection to the serial ports via 2811? I may be missunderstanding your post.

The serial ports are 9600 Baud 8N1.  Typically you will use a null modem cable for the connection.

For the network you should be able to connect to the manamgement interface  SSH and HTTPS should be enabled by default. If you connect directly to this port using a crossover cable can you establish a connection?

If the network connection is failing I would first start with the serial port so you can verify that the configuration is as you expect it to be, meaning the IP address and services enabled. If everything checks out in the configuration. I would next test using a crossover cable on the same subnet. If that works then I would connect the appliance to a switch and test from there. The biggest questions that come up are can you route to the appliance over the network and can you resolve the host over the network.

Christopher C Smith

CSE

Cisco IronPort Customer Support

Hi

Yes you are correct in your thinking that I am attempting to connect remotely via C2811 Octal Async port to the serial port of the C160 appliance.

I have used the DB-9 connector and the octal cable to connect to the port.

Am I doing something wrong with my serial port connection to the C160 appliance?

Hi,

Ok so you have to forgive me as I am not 100% familiar with that device.  Do those octal cables provide provisioning for null modem capaiblity? If not that may be the issue. You may need to put a DB9 null modem adaptor on the end of the cable connection going to the DB9 on the appliances. Did you say you were able to connect directly to the serial port ok with a PC?

Christopher C Smith

CSE

Cisco IronPort Customer Support

Hi,

No problem, I am new to work with the C160 device as well so I am learning what is best.

I asked a local technician to connect via his laptop but I am assume he did not have a null-modem adapter to use.

I guess I should simply get some DB-9 null-modem adapters to use at the end to resolve the connection issue.

FMS

Greetings Floyd,

Were you able to connect to the C160 via serial ? If not make sure that the cable is  a standard 9-pin null modem cable. For information on how to connect to a Email Security Appliance using serial, you can refer to the KB article below:

Knowledge Base Answer ID: 1388

http://tinyurl.com/np38tq

Hope this information helps.

Regards,

Jyothi Gandla

Customer Support Engineer

Yes we were able to connect to the node after chaning dead hardware and new null modem DB 9