Views
Helpful
Replies

ESA cannot rollback to factory AsyncOS version

arthur.lo1
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, 

Anyone know is ESA able to revert to the factory AsyncOS version even the version not listed out by the revert command?

As I upgraded the AsyncOS to 9.7.0-125 but I would like to revert to the factory version 7.6.2-014. At the time, the earliest version I can revert is 8.5.6-092. Is any way to revert the AsyncOS version to 7.6.2-014?

Arthur

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello Arthur,

There is a -chance- i do not recommend to double revert however as it can be destructive.

But from my lab environment, it will revert based on upgrade paths.

I do not believe the 7.6.2 had a direct path to 9.7

So you will likely need to multiple revert to fall back.

8.5.6, likely then to 8.0.1 before you can locate 7.6.2 assuming it stored the OS image on the partitions, as the more you upgrade, it will erase the old partition files.

May I ask why you're looking to fall back to an unsupported AsyncOS 7.6.2?

Regards,

Matthew

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Mathew Huynh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Arthur,

I believe you can do a double revert on the ESA, however this is not recommended at all as it's an extremely destructive command (you lose everything except network config).

Furthermore, 7.6.2 is not supported so you may be lacking some rule updates or support if there are issues.

Additionally, it can only revert to versions that it has previously been on and stored.

Regards,

Matthew

Hello Mathew, 

Thanks for your reply. I found that it can only be rollback to 8.5.6-092 now but the I upgraded from was 7.6.2. Due to some reason I would like to rollback to the factory version 7.6.2. 

I'm thinking about is the capacity of storage is not enough to store all the version what I upgraded so that the oldest version will be deleted. Do you have any idea on it?

Regards,

Arthur

Hello Arthur,

I believe the revert will follow the upgrade paths to get to the version and not provide the versions pre-installed as is.

Regards,

Matthew

Hello Mathew, 

So you mean that it should be able to revert to the factory version?

Regards,

Arthur

Hello Arthur,

There is a -chance- i do not recommend to double revert however as it can be destructive.

But from my lab environment, it will revert based on upgrade paths.

I do not believe the 7.6.2 had a direct path to 9.7

So you will likely need to multiple revert to fall back.

8.5.6, likely then to 8.0.1 before you can locate 7.6.2 assuming it stored the OS image on the partitions, as the more you upgrade, it will erase the old partition files.

May I ask why you're looking to fall back to an unsupported AsyncOS 7.6.2?

Regards,

Matthew

Hello Mathew, 

Yes. I upgraded the AsyncOS from 7.6.2 > 8.0.x > 8.5.6 > 9.1.x > 9.7.1 and revert from 9.7.1 > 8.5.6.

I think that the old partition are deleted so that I can't revert to 7.6.2.

I would like to test if I can fall back to the version 7.6.2 as some of the application servers are sending email via ESA. Some customized script is running for retrieve logs and health status automatically. I want to ensure that if scripts are not work on new version of AsyncOS then I can fall back immediately. 

Thanks for your information.

Regards,

Arthur

Hello Matthew, 

You can see below picture only have the 8.5.6 version now. No other choice for me to choose.

However, I think the capacity may be the reason cause the earlier version has been deleted but not sure.

Regards,

Arthur