cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ESA (Virtual) Licensing Question

Reuben Farrelly
Level 3
Level 3

In a former life and job, I administered a number of physical IronPort ESA and WSA appliances, and have a good working/engineering knowledge of these devices.

I now have a use for the services of an ESA, and in the environment I'm looking at a virtual ESA would be a perfect fit.  The ESAV would run on a UCS box under VMware 5.5 and we're talking about ~10 end users.  Certainly not worth the outlay of a physical appliance, nor is a huge budget an option.  The ESAV seems like a perfect fit.

I am able to download the ESA image and run it up just fine with my CCO account.

However what is not clear is how the licensing of this would work.  Documents I've seen on CCO mostly refer to the ESAV being essentially free for existing customers with physical ESAs, but that's not useful or relevant in this situation.

The license part of "CISCO ESA-ESP-3Y-S1 Premium SW Bundle 3YR Lic, 100-199 Users" seems right, but it's only AU$60 or so.  The cynic in me suggests that's way too cheap for Cisco, and there must be other licenses required to make this solution work :-)

So the question is, what licenses would be required for this sort of installation?

Thanks,

Reuben

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

For anyone else who comes across this thread - I found out that the ESA licensing is per user, which is good - and the price per user is reasonable.

The sting in the tail is that you have to purchase a minimum of 100 users.  This effectively rules this product out of small sites.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Robert Sherwin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

From the support forums - Cisco side speaking, we here in TAC would not have the answer to that.  Perhaps there is another customer out there who takes part in the forums that may be able to add further insight to getting a license solely for the purpose of using the VM.

The best course of action would be to open a conversation with Sales Ops/Account team, and provide the full wants and needs behind your usage of the VM. 

With the VM - if you have an exisiting hardware appliance, any/all feature keys are fair game for a free use license of the VM.

You can also request the demo license:

Fill out the request form for a 45-day evaluation license.

Full contact our Global Licensing Operations (GLO) team:

https://tools.cisco.com/SWIFT/LicensingUI/Home

Licensing FAQ

Phone: 1-800-553-2447, opt 3

Request to have a case opened for GLO/Licensing.

Their email directly is: licensing@cisco.com

Hope this helps!  Anything else - feel free to ask, glad to help as I can.

-Robert

(*If you have received the answer to your original question, and found this helpful/correct - please mark the question as answered, and be sure to leave a rating to reflect!)

For anyone else who comes across this thread - I found out that the ESA licensing is per user, which is good - and the price per user is reasonable.

The sting in the tail is that you have to purchase a minimum of 100 users.  This effectively rules this product out of small sites.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: