cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to rate-limit outbound SMTP based on sender NOT host system?

I am wondering if there is a way with the IronPort AsyncOS to rate-limit outbound SMTP traffic based on a specific sender NOT by host system (or IP address of host system).

We have had situations where a compromised internal user mailbox becomes compromised (hijacked) and sends hundreds of thousands of spam messages outbound to Internet ISP mail systems causing our mail system to become blacklisted.

Adding outbound smtp rate-limiting confounds the problem as it blocks the entire system not just the compromised mailbox.  This halts all mail from our system and upsets everyone.

If no, is there another (non-Cisco IronPort) product that does this?  Many Internet ISPs (Verizon, Hotmail, etc.  do this, just wondering how they do this?)

Thank you so much in advance, my job relies on an answer here!

12 Replies 12

mychrislo
Level 1
Level 1

I second that idea.

But there is another variant of the problem that cannot be cater even if this feature is available.

The sender use different mutant of sender address in every sending mail.

Then the solution may need to be applied on per sending ip. I understand there is "recipient limit per hour", but this one doesn't effectively stop zombie spammers.

Chris

fsarwary
Level 1
Level 1

The best method to use to rate limit per sender (IP or email address) is to use message filter. There are good examples on the online documentation as shown below:

------------------------------------------------------------------

if (rcpt-count > 100) {

The addr-count() message filter rule takes one or more header strings, counts the number of recipients in each line and reports the cumulative number of recipients. This filter differs from the rcpt-count filter rule in that it operates on the message body headers instead of the envelope recipients. The following example shows the filter rule used to replace a long list of recipients with the alias, “undisclosed-recipients”:

------------------------------------------------------------------

You can also add more conditions to check for 'remote-ip' or 'mail-from'  and see the also in the online documentation for message filter rules and actions.

~Fraidoon

Does anyone know of a non-Cisco IronPort product that will do this?

I suppose I can build a greylisting mechanism based on sender and put it into the outbound transit mta.

But this is never been done before, greylisting usually used for inbound control.

Recently phishing emails have been responded to by our internal customers thus compromising their mailboxes which in turns causes it to send out large volumes of spam to Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, Comcast, etc.  Our mail servers then get blacklisted.

Looking for a product to rate limit on the outbound side so we do not get blacklisted.

Can you explain your solution a little more?

This is a little off topic, postfix policyd is able to define "quota" by sender (not just ip). you can whitelist the other good sender. But it will make your mail flow configuration (using postfix as transit mta) a little complex (i.e. regular maintenance).

http://www.policyd.org/tiki-index.php?page=Quotas&structure=Documentation

p.s. i have never tried it.

tsilveruits
Level 1
Level 1

It has been six years, and as a customer running AsyncOS 9.6, I would like to know if any further progress has been made on this front? With some of our mail relays, we do use some method to rate-limit some mail. But it would be nice if the IronPorts provided this, as most of our email flows through them.

The current options under Mail Flow Policies and Max. Recipients Per Time Interval pertain to recipients per envelope. So I can send an email with several recipients, say 10. But if I'm only allowed to send to 5 per hour based on Max. Recipients Per Time Interval then 5 of those 10 are blocked. But if I immediately send 10 individually addressed emails, those are delivered, no problem. The User Guide describes this feature as, "The maximum number of recipients during a specified time period that this listener will receive from a unique envelope sender..." which is not accurate.

Hello Tim,

From testing on my device on 9.6 as well;

Envelope Sender Rate limiting enabled to '10' as the limit.

(see screenshot)

Sent a test email with '11' recipients.

10 of those accepted, MID generated but when the 11th recipient is defined in that message, it will trigger the rate limiting and abort the email with the envelope sender recipient limit exceeded, so the entire email of 11 recipients aborted.

Fri Feb 26 10:11:58 2016 Info: ICID 76003 ACCEPT SG UNKNOWNLIST match sbrs[none] SBRS rfc1918
Fri Feb 26 10:11:58 2016 Info: Start MID 1316 ICID 76003
Fri Feb 26 10:11:58 2016 Info: MID 1316 ICID 76003 From: <matt@lee.com>
Fri Feb 26 10:11:58 2016 Info: MID 1316 ICID 76003 RID 0 To: <Mat_test@cisco.com>
Fri Feb 26 10:11:58 2016 Info: MID 1316 ICID 76003 RID 1 To: <test1@cisco.com>
Fri Feb 26 10:11:58 2016 Info: MID 1316 ICID 76003 RID 2 To: <test33@cisco.com>
Fri Feb 26 10:11:58 2016 Info: MID 1316 ICID 76003 RID 3 To: <test123@cisco.com>
Fri Feb 26 10:11:58 2016 Info: MID 1316 ICID 76003 RID 4 To: <test1231321@cisco.com>
Fri Feb 26 10:11:58 2016 Info: MID 1316 ICID 76003 RID 5 To: <6email@cisco.com>
Fri Feb 26 10:11:58 2016 Info: MID 1316 ICID 76003 RID 6 To: <7address@cisco.com>
Fri Feb 26 10:11:58 2016 Info: MID 1316 ICID 76003 RID 7 To: <8address@cisco.com>
Fri Feb 26 10:11:58 2016 Info: MID 1316 ICID 76003 RID 8 To: <9address@cisco.com>
Fri Feb 26 10:11:58 2016 Info: MID 1316 ICID 76003 RID 9 To: <10address@cisco.com>
Fri Feb 26 10:11:58 2016 Info: MID 1316 To: <11address@cisco.com> From: <matt@lee.com> Rejected by Rate Limiting per Envelope Sender

This sender will then be blocked for 1 hour until counters reset (the 1 hour limit is configurable only by the default policy).

If i broke that email to 11 separate MID, the first 10 MIDs will send, 11th will get rejected from this sending address.

If i separated it to 1 MID with 5 recipients, then second MID with 6, the second MID will be rejected completely and rate limit applied.

Regards,

Matthew

Is that occurring in a cluster? We have a cluster of 20 systems, and it appears that the settings is acting per machine, not for the cluster. I know it was coved in the User Guide. I will test more, but so far this setting isn't behaving as I expected.

Hey Tim,

I can re-pro this behaviour in a cluster as well.

Each ESA will hold it's own individual counters so it's right for it to act per machine.

IE : sending 10 emails to ESA 1 will be accepted, If i decide to send another 10 (that should exceed my limit) to ESA 1 again, it'll be rejected, but if I put it to ESA2, it'll be accepted.

At that point both ESA1 and ESA2 will have me on their individual counters and stop me going forward.

Regards,
Matthew

Thanks, Matt, for testing. That's what I am experiencing. So I will need to look at other solutions. Hopefully, more options will be added to this feature in future releases.

Tim

sysresuem
Level 1
Level 1

With Mail flow policies and HAT configuration we can't limit based on internal sender just based on Ip or domain.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: