Views
Helpful
Replies

Problem with Encrypting Content Filter

Kurtis Franklin
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have two C160s and I'm having trouble getting certain content filter rules to encrypt. Essentially, I've done the following:

1. Created a rule that examines the subject line if ENCRYPTED is at the beginning, it encrypts the email and delivers

2. Created either a second condition or a second rule (both have the same result) that looks for the [SEND SECURE] subject at the beginning that the Outlook plugin prepends, encrypts and delivers the email.

If the second rule/condition is applied and active on the default policy, it encrypts ALL message EXCEPT those that have the [SEND SECURE] at the beginning of the subject line. Am I doing something wrong? Is there another way to capture the [SEND SECURE] prepend the Outlook plugin creates or to change it in some way?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Andreas Mueller
Level 4
Level 4

Hello Kurtis,

your problem lies in the fact that the filter condition is actually a regular expression. In your case, putting something in square barkets means the condition will catch on any single character within the expression. To prevent that to happen, use a backslash in front of the barakets:

\[SEND SECURE\]

Note that after submitting, you will see that the line will change to  \\[SEND SECURE\\] , that's normal and intended.

Hope that helps,

BTW, you might find similar topics about this in the community.

Andreas

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

viahmed
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Kurtis,

It is difficult to say what is wrong without seeing your filters and related logs. However, I am providing link to our knowledge base article below for your reference.

Quick guide to setup IronPort Email Encryption on the ESA

http://tinyurl.com/9gswha

Hope that helps! I would recommend to contact support if need further assistance.

Regards,

Viquar

Customer Support Engineer

Andreas Mueller
Level 4
Level 4

Hello Kurtis,

your problem lies in the fact that the filter condition is actually a regular expression. In your case, putting something in square barkets means the condition will catch on any single character within the expression. To prevent that to happen, use a backslash in front of the barakets:

\[SEND SECURE\]

Note that after submitting, you will see that the line will change to  \\[SEND SECURE\\] , that's normal and intended.

Hope that helps,

BTW, you might find similar topics about this in the community.

Andreas

I guess that's just further proof that I should have spent some time learning regular expressions. Thank you for taking the time to look at my problem. I'll read through that documentation again. I assume there is some documentation for the outlook plugin as well, so I'll look for that. Thanks again.

Thanks Christopher,

Exactly what I was looking for before I deploy this to the rest of my users. Especially like the ability to have the plugin use a header instead of using the subject line. That should make some people here very happy. Thanks again to everyone for your help.