arcnetwork
Level 1
Level 1

I need some help with translation patterns,

The 5 digit extensions we use is 31[3-5]XX

We want 5 digit, 4 digit and 3 digit dialing

No problems with 4 digit dialing

My problem comes up after I enter the translation pattern for 3 digit dialing:

5 digit dialing works when you punch in the 5 digit number and hit the line button, it dials through fine.

When off hook though, we dial 313, for example, and the phone dials through to extension 31313 becasue of the translation pattern.

I remove the 3 digit translation pattern and 5 digit works fine when dialing off hook.

Does anyone know how to get around this so that i can use 3, 4, and 5 digit dialing?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Make use of this opportunity and tell the users to dial 5 digits instead of the old 3! They will adapt. I'm had multiple situations like this and they usually accept without making any fuss about it.

Regards.
Erik

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Why do you want 3,4 and 5 digit dialing?  This is never a good idea for the reason you are seeing Overlaps.  The only way around it is to either allow 3 digit to some folks and 4 to others, etc or un-check urgent priority and let the caller wait thorough the inter-digit time out to complete the call, not a good idea.

I suggest you revisit your plan and standardize on unfiform abbriviated dialing.

HTH,

Chris

Thanks for the reply, the reason is that we are trying to replace the phone system we currently have as closely as possible, to minimize the impact on the end users, as they currently use 3 digit dialing, and we also have a requirement for 5 digit dialing going forward. This was never an issue at our other site due to the numbers not overlapping like this.

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I understand, and the options I oulined are what you can do none of which will make it ideal.
Putting users on new system gives you opportunity for adoption of a change.

HTH, please rate all helpful posts!

Chris

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

amansin74
Level 1
Level 1

A temporary solution is letting people to dial "#" after the dialled digits ?

This case people will get impacted i know, but still suggesting, might be of help.

Just a suggestion :

your 3 digit TP1 :  XXX#   ------> 31XXX

your 4 digit TP2 : 1XXX# ------> 31XXX

Unless users press "#" , the call wont complete, if users press # after 3 digits, TP1 will be used , users dial 4 digit and # , TP 2 will be used ,

Users dial 5 digit and call will go through .?

Regards,

Aman

“If you have knowledge, let others light their candles in it.”

Make use of this opportunity and tell the users to dial 5 digits instead of the old 3! They will adapt. I'm had multiple situations like this and they usually accept without making any fuss about it.

Regards.
Erik

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App