cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

6945 phone firmware - A few questions

voip7372
Level 4
Level 4

Can someone please confirm that you can indeed upgrade a 6945 SCCP phone directly from firmware version SCCP9-1-1-0 to SCCP9-4-1-3SR2 ?

From what I can see, that's possible.  

Also, can you please confirm EXACTLY what the 'Load Information' should be for the 6945 SCCP and SIP phones?   For example, on the CUCM page for the device defaults, is this the exact text for the load information (for SCCP phones)?  SCCP6945.9-4-1-3SR2   

And what about SIP?   SIP6945.9-4-1-3SR2

Reason I ask is because I seem to have my own 6945 working fine on that version with SIP, but I've got some remote 6945 phones on SCCP and a current firmware of 9-1-1-0 and they don't seem to want to update themselves to 9-4-1-3SR2.   I'm not onsite and don't have anyone easily available to check for me, so I don't know what the phone is actually doing.

https://software.cisco.com/download/release.html?mdfid=283655659&release=9.4(1)&atcFlag=N&dwldImageGuid=6AF41984A3AE7B92C5B1F560C4CA1567F088E487&softwareid=282074289&dwnld=true

http://www.cisco.com/web/software/282074289/128105/cmterm-6945-sccp.9-4-1-3SR2-readme.html

FYI - When I install the COP file for the SCCP firmware, the device defaults load information is automatically set to this:  SCCP6945.9-4-1-3

I have my SIP firmware load info set to SIP6945.9-4-1-3SR2 on the device defaults page, but I don't recall if I manually set it that way or if that's the exact name it put there when I installed the SIP firmware in the past.  Just checking to see if someone else has this exact version for SCCP and SIP for the 6945 and to see exactly what your load information says for each.  I just don't know why these SCCP 6945 phones won't automatically update to the new firmware version (from 9-1-1-0).

Active Load ID: SCCP6945.9-1-1-0
Download Status: None
6 Replies 6

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I can't see RNs for SR3, but SR2 seem to be able to upgrade from any 9.x

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/collaboration-endpoints/unified-ip-phone-6900-series/products-release-notes-list.html

It's completely expected for the device defaults to change.

If the phones are web enabled, you can look at the logs remotely to find out why they're not upgrading.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Ok, let me check the web interface for these phones and see what the console log is showing.  Be back tomorrow morning with an update...

FYI.  More info.  These phones are in Brazil and the CUCM servers/TFTP is in the USA.  I saw this discussion and so far I'm leaning towards network delay being an issue for the phones to get the files in the time they are happy with or...something related to some security settings on the phones?   Noting this discussion:  https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/11201746/upgrade-fail-authentication-error

Also, I believe these phones were previously used with an older version of CUCM (7.x) and now I'm trying to register them to CUCM 10.5.  I'll ask a local person to reset these phones locally and then see if they register to CUCM 10.  On the phone menu:  Settings > Admin Settings > Reset Settings > Security > Reset.

Will update you as soon as I have someone reset the phones.

By the way, here's the ping time from the LAN switch these phones are plugged into.  Ping from the switch to the CUCM server/TFTP:

Switch3560a#ping ip 172.17.1.2

Type escape sequence to abort.
Sending 5, 100-byte ICMP Echos to 172.17.1.2, timeout is 2 seconds:   (IP of the CUCM server changed since I'm posting this in public)
!!!!!
Success rate is 100 percent (5/5), round-trip min/avg/max = 159/161/168 ms

I still haven't been able to get anyone down there to do a factory reset on the two troubled phones, but I'm leaning towards the phone's trust list being the issue and once a factory reset on the phone is done, I think they'll be fine.  I'l update this discussion once I know for sure so people searching in the future can see what the resolution was.  

A brand new 6945 registered fine and downloaded the firmware updates.  Also an 8961 was able to download the new firmware updates I installed.  

Well, I thought by now my local people would have performed the reset using the phone menu, but they still haven't done it.  

Anyway, in the meantime I copied what I see in the phone's 'Console Logs' link when you browse to the web interface for that phone.  

I noticed this and it seems like it's trying to get the new firmware, but for some reason it's not installing it.  Maybe you know more about what's in this log.  I don't know how to decipher it.  See attached text document.

Authenticating SCCP6945.9-4-1-3.loads file successfully.
rm: cannot remove '/tmp/ota_LYNETTE.bin': No such file or directory

There are several posts in the forum about LYNETTE and one mentions about the issue between the TFTP issue across a WAN link.  Another thread points to QoS being set incorrectly.  

Try setting a TFTP server locally where the phone is located (could be a switch nearest the switch).  Once the firmware is loaded successfully the TFTP server can point back to the CUCM box.