cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

7841 device w/ Speed Dials

Kent Drugge
Level 1
Level 1

I have users that have speed dial numbers programmed. When you press down on the Navigation ring, you see the speed dial number. However, the list stops at 6. I made a test phone button template with 4 lines & 32 speed dials. Applied that to a phone and it stops at 18. Any way to get past this barrier ?

7 Replies 7

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The phone button template is only relevant if the actual device has enough physical buttons to program them as speed dials, any speed dial that is not associated to a button can be used as abbreviated dialing. The phone button template does not define how many speed dials you can program.

Are you sure you're talking about speed dials here??

Are you not using the personal directory or something else??

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

I have to disagree about "The phone button template is only relevant if the actual device has enough physical buttons to program".  A 7841 only has 4 buttons. The factory template for 7841 lets you select 6 speed dials. I changed the phone button template to have 30 speed dials. The navigation button is coded to display speed dials when down pressed. Also, if you begin dialing, you will also get a softkey for [SpeedDial] , so if I dial 30 and press the speed dial softkey, that works. But it's the navigation down display which gives the users a list of their speed dials. This may be different than previous models.

I'm not sure if the phone button template would affect how many speed dials you can see on that list you mention, I'd have to test that out in the lab, haven't tried that

But, I can assure you that the number of speed dial buttons you configure in the phone button template, does not define how many speed dials you can program in the device. You can go ahead and test yourself, configure a template with two speed dials, go to the UCMuser page, and nothing will prevent you from configuring more than two speed dials.

They seem to have changed the abbreviated dialing softkey from older models to speed dial codes, but it's the same thing, this is from the 7800 guide:

• Speed-dial codes—Dial a phone number from a code (sometimes referred to as abbreviated dialing).

Enter the speed-dial code and press Speed Dial.

HTH

java

I agree with you completely on the 2nd post, I can make 99 speed dials if I want. But the issue is the Navigation list, that's my issue. Changing the phone button template does affect the Navigation down listing. The default 7841 template says after 6 speed dials ( or whatever ) you need a module. And the Navigation list stops at the 6, Even though there are 30 speed dials programmed. If I make a phone button template and pre-assign the speed dial slots, the Navigation list let me see 18 of the numbers. I can't understand why it stops, it should let me scroll to 30 or 99, however many speed dials I have. This scroll list would be great for a user, but it's limited so far as I can tell.

I am experiencing the same as Kent. I did not change any templates but I did create five speed dials, 1, 2, 3, 6, & 7. The speed dials all work when I press the index key and then press [Speed Dial] soft key.

But if I press the down-navigation key I see 1, 2, 3, & 4; where 4 is the same as speed dial 6. Speed dial 7 does not appear in navigation view.

What does this mean? I don't know.

Last time I was not able to test this, but I'm at the office and just tested this, and I got the same behavior, using sip78xx.11-7-1-17

Configured 8 speed dials, but I can only see 6 in the phone, I'm guessing this is either a bug, or it might be WAD.

HTH

java

I am having the same issue 3  years later. has anyone found a resolution on this?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: