cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

7921 wireless phones dropping out.

Adam Watts
Level 1
Level 1

I have a large install of 7921 wireless IP phones that every so often, in the middle or on answering or making a call will just drop connection to the network and re-register themselves. with the message leaving service area.

the area the phones are in has good wireless conectivity and the roaming of the clients seems to be working correctly.

i have had examples of users who are at there desk and not at the time being mobile, having there calls drop out.

current App load ID: Cp7921g-1.4.1sr1.loads

Wireless is running in unifed setup and running: 7.0.98.0

The call managers are running: 6.1.3.1000-16

one thing we have observed is that some are more prone to having a problem and if i was to use the site survey tool to phones in the same location 1 will show all the access points it can the and the other will only flash up the 1 access point it's connected to.

If anyone has any ideas that would be great, we had been running for a while with out any problems then these started happening without any obvious reason or changes to the system.

Adam

6 Replies 6

Adam Watts
Level 1
Level 1

Since posting i have been able to spot the problem happening on the system and i think i have identified the issue, but still need help.

it looks like the fault is happening during a roam event as i have looked in the client information page on the WCS and it tell me that the reason for a roam was unspecified and at the same time an warning alarm was created saying the the client was excluded due to authentication failure on the access point.

Client '00:24:97:yy:yy:yy (x.x.x.x)' which was associated with interface '802.11b/g' of AP 'AP09' is excluded. The reason code is '2(802.11 Association failed repeatedly)'. - Controller Name: controller12

The ap it would have moved from would be AP10 and both those AP's run off the same controller and are set up identically. there is no change in the ssid or the network between the two devices.

And just to be annoying every time i try to recreate the issue it hasn't happened.

Any ideas.

Hi Adam,

I have a client with the exact same description of the problem.  Randomly (both while moving and stationary) the phones during and not during calls will drop the network connection and re-register.  It seems to effect all 7921 phones a few times a day, but so far I have not been able to determine how to reproduce the problem.

7921 - 1.4.1.SR1

WLC - 7.0.116.0

CM - 8.5.1.11900-21

We only have a single controller with 45 APs (mostly 3502s and 1131s).  The system has been up and running since 2007 with no physical changes and the problem is not local to one area of the building.  We set the phones on Auto, prefer A over B/G.

We are using WPA2-PSK (AES).

Dan

Hi Adam and Dan,

Did you get this fixed? 

One of our customers is facing similar issue 7921 (1.4.1.SR1) but with autonomous APs (most are 12.3(7)JA2).

I found that cisco advise to have minimum 12.3(8) and also to enable "world-mode" on the AP's.

Can you share your finding?  Thanks.

Ahmed

ndravid
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Adam,

The issue is seen in 7.0.98.0 and the fix is available on 7.0.98.212. The fixed code is not available in CCO.

If you see Wireless clients from Controller tries to get IP from multiple DHCP server then disable Enable DHCP proxy on WLC, if that doesn't work then configure VLAN pruning appropriately or disable pruning on switch where WLC is connected.

If this does not work then open a TAC case so that they can publish 7.0.98.212 for you to download.

Hope this helps.....

Nachi

Hi Nachi,

Is there a version of 7.0.116.X that has the fix?  Do you have a bug ID for this issue?

Thanks,

Dan

Hi Dan,

Not really sure since I am not an expert on the Wireless Technology, my primary expertise is on Call Manager and therefore I replied to the topic.

Please check the link below for your reference, you might be affected by the defect mentioned below:

http://tools.cisco.com/squish/23a52

Hope this helps

Nachi