cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

7936 conference phones - cabling/power

mcreilly
Level 1
Level 1

I've just deployed thirty 7936s and I'm getting a lot of complaints about how untidy the cabling is. This is mostly down to the fact that there is the need for the power supply and it's mains lead, the little junction box that connects the network lead and power supply to the single cord up to the phone, and the fact that the supplied leads for the 7936 are just far too long for most purposes. Lot of "spaghetti". I notice the connection on the 7936 lead isn't quite a standard RJ45, it has a little protrusion that would prevent plugging it into a regular RJ45 socket.

So my question - what's special about the lead from the connector box to the phone itself? Can I safely replace that with a regular (and more sensible length) patch lead? And if I can, could I then relocate the power block and all that to the comms closet?

(Or course a better question has to be - why on earth don't the 7936s use PoE? If the 7985 can, I don't see why the 7936 couldn't have been designed to!)

1 Reply 1

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Martin

You are correct! These are very messy to connect. I have used a standard 2M RJ45 Patch cord without issue so that's a start. These units require 30 volts so I guess no PoE :)

I don't see why the power module couldn't go in the wiring closet depending on the distance, maybe I'll try next week.

Here are the specs;

Cable Specifications

Keyed RJ-45 plug for the 25-ft. CAT 5 cable connection on the bottom of the IP Conference Station unit

Keyed RJ-45 plug for the 25-ft. CAT 5 cable connection on the PIM

RJ-45 plug for the 6-ft. CAT 5 cable connection on the PIM

30-volt power connector for power connection on the PIM

From this doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/phones/ps379/products_administration_guide_chapter09186a0080726357.html

Hope this helps!

Rob