cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

7940 Setup

Ben D
Level 1
Level 1

I've just been given two Cisco IP Phone 7940's by my manager to set up on our office.

I've set up all the voip details in the phones manually, but still unable to make any calls. Our voip provider says to enter the IP of the phone into a browser to access the phone management, this doesn't work, it wont connect. From what I've read I need a switch to get these to work.

All we've got is 2 7940's with power blocks, and a standard plusnet router. 

Is it at all possible to use these phones without getting any more hardware?

3 Replies 3

In order for the phone to work and calls to be established you would need call processing agent such as CUCM, CME or any third party call processing server. 

If CUCM or CME is being used, then configuration needs to be done accordingly. 

Find below links helpful 

https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/86036/ip-phone-sccp-sip-phone-registration-process-cucm

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucme/troubleshooting/guide/ts_phreg.html

HTH

Regards

Abhay

Kindly rate all helpful posts !!!

Regards
Abhay Singh Reyal
The Only Way To Do Great Work Is To Love What You Do. If You Haven’t Found It Yet, Keep Looking. Don’t Settle

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

IP phones cannot work by themselves, you need to register them to Call Control system such as Cisco Communications Manager, Communications Manager Express, another third party IP-PBX or directly to service provider.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

All we've got is 2 7940's with power blocks, and a standard plusnet router. 

If this is all you've got then I'm suspecting the phones are NOT meant to be connecting to any Cisco-based call managers.  

So tell us what the ISP is meant to do?  Is the ISP set up for voice calls?  (This means the phones will be registering to the ISP via the internet.)

Do you have the necessary files (firmwares, phone configuration file, dialing plan, etc.)? 

How about a DHCP Server to do Option 150?

Let start with those questions and then move along as you tick them.