Views
Helpful
Replies

Adding analogue fax...

nickds100
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

New to CUCM etc. I need to add an analogue fax (and POTS phone) to a CUCM 9.1 system which also has a VG224 which has never been used or configured properly.

I've obtained the correct RJ-21 cable for the VG224 but would like guidance on setting up both the CUCM system & the VG224 - the fax & phone will need to dial out (using 9 or 8 + the number) and receive incoming calls.

Pointers would be a great help.

Thanks

6 Replies 6

Slavik Bialik
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

I once wrote a very nice procedure for my team mates. File is attached. :)

@Slavik Bialik wrote:

Hi,

I once wrote a very nice procedure for my team mates. File is attached. :)

Many thanks for that - I'll go through that today.. What about the analogue phone? Would that be significantly different?

The analog port can be used for a fax, analog phone, pancodes and etc. Everything should work smoothly ;)

Hi - thanks for all this - just had a look at the VG224 config and its using MGCP - it does have an IP FAX on it (T38), all MGCP configuration.

As the gateway is already setup this way, and I really don't want to go into changing that (I'll break something), what are my options?

Many thanks

Hi, I never implemented those devices with MGCP, so I don't have any configurations for it. Sorry.
What is the IP Fax you have there? You mean a Fax machine with an Ethernet connectivity, that you're using to send the received faxes via mail to some email address?
If so, you can move this device to work over SCCP with the guide I send you. That is of course if you won't get the configurations that you need from someone else, here. Because using those configurations in the guide will make it work right away, if you do it right, so you won't affect the IP fax for a long time. I used my own guide to configure a VG 2 weeks ago, I already forgot everything and used it, and worked as a charm on the first time 😊

Hi - thanks - the IP-connected FAX is a Ricoh 4410L.

It's plugged into the spare FastEthernet port of the VG224...

I'm not sure that it is configured correctly - I tried sending a fax from it to an analogue fax on a direct POTS line (next to it) and no dial tone or anything -  I can't find anyone that's used it for years :)