cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AIR-CAP3502I AP hooked up at a VoIP Telephone (with PWRINJ4)

beamer345
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

because of lack of network plug sockets in a room we have to connect a VoIP Telephone (OpenStage40) and an Air-Cap3502i (Wlan Access Point) in series.

Following configuration is intended:

WS-C4506-E -> NW-Plug -> IN/VoIP-Telephone/OUT -> PWRINJ4 -> Air-Cap3502i

This should work?

Is there an impact to expect between the POE from C4506 Gigabit-LAN-Interface and the PWRINJ4?

Should the Telephone better supplied with power by external power supply instead of POE from C4506? (POE "off" at the concerning port of the C4506)

[BTW, Vlan configuration is "Access Mode" for the AP and NW-Policy Voice-Vlan for the Telephone]

BR, beamer345

3 Replies 3

Brandon Buffin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

This is obviously not best practice but should work. There should be no impact from the interaction of PoE and power injector. Essentially, the phone is acting as another switch plugged into the 4506. There are several downsides - bandwidth, separation of traffic, security, ability to have multiple SSID/VLANs on the AP since the AP is not trunked to the switch. If at all possible. run an additional cable for the AP.

Brandon

It doesn't work, the AP is rapidly cycling through blue-green-red.

(Access point location command invoked)

It seems, the telephone is absorbing something from

the communication between the Cisco switch and the Cisco AP.

Is the AP getting an IP address? Able to communicate with controller. Can you console to the AP and see what errors you are getting on boot?

Brandon