Views
Helpful
Replies

Analog lines running without CUCM?

master001
Level 2
Level 2

Hello all,

I have one probably "dumb" question here:   Can analog lines run without Call manager? 

Environment: 

I have on-prem CUCM, along with H323 voice gateway and VG224. 

H323 voice gateway connects with PRI circuit;

CUCM and VG224 communicate via MGCP protocol, VG224 connects to analog end points e.g. fax machines;

Analog lines are delivered over PRI circuit.  

I am thinking, since H323 voice gateway can receive calls via dial-peer, so call manager maybe not required? Please correct me if I am wrong. 

But, since VG224 is running MGCP,  call manager for sure is required. 

Is any way/solution that these analog lines can be running without call manager component? 

Any information will be appreciated. 

Best regards,

master001

2 Replies 2

M02@rt37
VIP
VIP

Hello @master001,

Analog lines can operate without a Call Manager or any other call control system. Analog lines can be connected directly to analog endpoints, such as fax machines or analog phones, without the need for a digital call control system.

In your specific environment, if the analog lines are delivered over a PRI circuit and connected to a H323 voice gateway, you can configure the H323 voice gateway to handle incoming and outgoing calls using dial-peer configurations. In this scenario, the H323 gateway can function independently of the CUCM for call routing and connectivity to the analog endpoints.

However, if you have a VG224 gateway connected to the CUCM using the MGCP protocol, the VG224 relies on the CUCM for control and configuration. The CUCM provides centralized management and control for the VG224 and its analog endpoints. In this case, the VG224 requires the CUCM to operate correctly.

If you want to run the analog lines without the CUCM, you would need to reconfigure the VG224 to operate in a different mode, such as H323 or SIP, which would allow it to function independently of the CUCM. This would involve changing the configuration of the VG224 and potentially reconfiguring the dial plans.

Best regards
.ı|ı.ı|ı. If This Helps, Please Rate .ı|ı.ı|ı.

Thanks for your advice.   

Agreed - reconfiguring the VG224 in H323 mode should help.     

Any further information or anything I should be aware of in terms of VG224 H323 mode configuration?  

Thanks again. 

master001