cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Audio jacks not working on Cisco CP-8861

jacobstoneid
Level 1
Level 1

We just got this phone for my work and I can't find any resources on how to get the line in/line out to work for audio. The speaker and handset works...but as soon as I plug something into the 3.5mm headphone and microphone jacks...I can't hear or say anything. It detects them because when I plug them in, there's a message saying microphone connected and headphone connected, but still no audio.

There's also no options to select these as inputs or to use them...and I've been searching for a solution online and no luck.

Our ultimate goal is to run audio out of a mixer into the mic jack...and use speakers for the headphone jack so we can use the phone for virtual presentations with a two camera set up. The phone will be used for audio and Adobe Connect is being used for video so we can avoid bandwidth issues using VOIP. I've tried to test only the phone's jacks first to make sure it works, but no luck.

Please let me know if anyone else has found a fix to this. Thanks!

4 Replies 4

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I am sure you've seen this in the phone admin guide:

External speakers and microphones are plug-and-play accessories. You can connect an external PC-type microphone and powered speakers (with amplifier) on the Cisco IP Phone by using the line in/out jacks. Connecting an external microphone disables the internal microphone and connecting an external speaker disables the internal phone speaker.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cuipph/8800-series/english/adminguide/P881_BK_C136782F_00_cisco-ip-phone-8800_series.pdf

Are the speakers going through an amplifier first?

They are not....we tried using an aux cable from a headphone jack on a PC to the microphone jack because I wanted to test that first and I couldn't hear anything when I called the Cisco phone.

I also tried a regular PC headset (with 3.5mm headphone jack and mic jack) and that didn't work. 

Does the phone need a powered speaker and a mic plugged in at the same time to work?

You're suggestion worked! Here was my audio test:

Rode boom mic > Camera > HDMI cable to tricaster > Tricaster headphone out to Cisco CP-8861 3.5mm mic jack

Plugged powered computer speakers into headset jack on phone.

I had my manager call the phone from his office and I was able to hear them from the computer speakers and when I went up to our boom mic, he was able to hear me loud and clear.

The only thing I saw was the Cisco phone switched to speaker phone instead of being on the headset option. Does the Cisco phone have to be on speaker phone to use the headphone and mic jack?? We want the audio to only go through those jacks and not the speakerphone itself to avoid any delay or echo.

Thanks again for your help!

Cool, great job. +5 for nice follow up.

If you don't mind please mark the question as answered so it can help others in the future.