cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Auto registration of IP Communicator inCall Manager 8.6.2

mmusysnet
Level 1
Level 1

Using function in Call Manager 8.6.2 to auto register Cisco IP Communicator clients on start up. Function works as design but I would like to update template which is used when devices are added to Call Manager.  Can anyone tell me which template I need to update to pre-configure  standard DN settings

thanks, Simon

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Simon

As you’ve found, Auto-Registration is pretty limited.

You can assign a Phone Button template to the device, and the device will receive a number from the pool of DNs you configure. It will go in a particular Device Pool, also as configured in Device Defaults.

That generally leaves you with a phone that doesn’t have appropriate services such as EM, doesn’t have proper CSSs assigned to the line or device, and doesn’t have other appropriate, standard settings.

It’s also considered a security risk as any phone or device can add itself to your system and get some sort of service. The phones you add probably don’t get the service you want them to, and the phones you didn’t add… well…

It is possible to configure them with a limited configuration and (for example) a CSS that just PLARs to your helpdesk. Your help desk can then properly configure the phone.

Alternately you could have them auto-add, and run a periodic process that converts the auto-reg phones into properly configured logged-out phones.

It sounds to me like you just need a better provisioning process, but in general auto-reg isn’t the answer, at least not entirely. It just isn’t flexible enough… pretty much all my clients have it turned off.

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

pghninja
Level 1
Level 1

Does this help answer your question?!

thanks Corey for your reply.

I have located above in Call Manager under Device > Device Settings > device defaults but was confused by heading Phone Template.  I was hoping to use the template to define both directory and device setting for all devices created using auto registration.  I now believe that this heading is labelled incorrectly and should read "Phone Button Template" instead of "Phone Template"

thanks again , Simon

So what you are trying to do is have the DN settings preconfigured for the phones that auto register?!

Correct?

yes that's right 

Hi Simon

As you’ve found, Auto-Registration is pretty limited.

You can assign a Phone Button template to the device, and the device will receive a number from the pool of DNs you configure. It will go in a particular Device Pool, also as configured in Device Defaults.

That generally leaves you with a phone that doesn’t have appropriate services such as EM, doesn’t have proper CSSs assigned to the line or device, and doesn’t have other appropriate, standard settings.

It’s also considered a security risk as any phone or device can add itself to your system and get some sort of service. The phones you add probably don’t get the service you want them to, and the phones you didn’t add… well…

It is possible to configure them with a limited configuration and (for example) a CSS that just PLARs to your helpdesk. Your help desk can then properly configure the phone.

Alternately you could have them auto-add, and run a periodic process that converts the auto-reg phones into properly configured logged-out phones.

It sounds to me like you just need a better provisioning process, but in general auto-reg isn’t the answer, at least not entirely. It just isn’t flexible enough… pretty much all my clients have it turned off.

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

great stuff , thanks Arron for the clarification on this - much appreciated

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: