cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Black a number range

martynch1
Level 1
Level 1

Our DDI range is currently being hit by the ISP scam, where they play a recorded message saying your internet is going to cut off and to press 1 to speak to an agent.

So far nobody has pressed one so as this point in time I have no idea the number it call, I then could just block that.

These are the last 6 number that have called to various members of staff

90061435626632, 90019202964447, 90019206144442, 90019203344434, 90019203984493, 90019206554410

If I use 90! would that block 900 through to 90099999999999999999999, or is there a better mask to cover this?

7 Replies 7

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Won't work. 

The numbers are being spoofed.

Yes they are, that's why I'm wondering if the above translation pattern would block them all.

@martynch1 wrote:

Yes they are, that's why I'm wondering if the above translation pattern would block them all.

I have a very simple method around this:  Put an IVR --  "Dial 7 to talk to Engineering. Dial 8 to talk to accounting.  Dial 9 if you need to talk to someone".

Currently, this is the only known method of stopping the spam callers from reaching phone operators.  

Another option is to enable Lenny.

George Sotiropoulos
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello, 

I believe the best thing you could do, is to contact your Provider and inform about this issue. 

Please Rate Posts (by clicking on Star) and/or Mark Solutions as Accepted, when applies

martynch1
Level 1
Level 1

Done this, because they keep swapping numbers with different VoIP providers they say its to difficult to achieve.

Adam Pawlowski
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If you have your UCM setup so that you are routing through a set of translations for the purposes of call block, then, 900! should block that, unless you have a more specific length you can apply to the pattern, then you could do 900XX...X up to whatever length. Those are all the same length so if the 900 prefix doesn't overlap with something else, then 900XXXXXXXXXXX would work with the length given there.

It's been a while since I looked at this configuration in the UCM, but it is reasonably well documented.

As others have said, if they're spoofing numbers then you're playing with a moving target. In my experience unless someone is specifically out for you, they will stop calling for a while after it's blocked, until the next thing starts up again in the future. Car warranties, packages at the embassy, whatever. Managing a sieve via translation patterns is no fun, if the caller is spoofing a block of numbers that you'd need to try and accept legitimate contacts from.

I don't know your numbering plan either to comment on what those are, or the format. In NANP land, I've seen things show up like that rarely but when someone on the other end has misconfigured something, or is trying to get someone to hit redial and call back. Sometimes that is a scam for money, sometimes its an innocent target.

Depending on your organization, you could treat it like a phishing attempt, and let your users know not to answer calls from numbers that look like ___ unless they know the person, not to press 1 as it's not a legitimate issue, forward calls to IT if they're not sure, etc, and just endure the ringing for a bit.

Vinod.s
Level 3
Level 3

Hi ,

1. Try this  and Block range of number on your CUCM . ( I did this )

https://community.cisco.com/t5/collaboration-voice-and-video/blocking-calls-based-on-calling-party-id/ta-p/3113978

2. Inform you ISP to block from there side but i guess this is not possible .

3. If you are having H323 or SIP then use Dial-peer to block such type of calls easily  .