Views
Helpful
Replies

Block Inbound Calls To Extension

Liam McDonnell
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I've got a block of extension that I want to block inbound calls to (but still allow outbound).

Am I right in assuming if I create a translation pattern to match this range with block chosen, it will stop both internal calls to these extension and inbound from the PSTN.

CUCM Verison 8.0

GW MGCP 3925

Please note I do not want to block a particular number from calling in.

I want to block all external calls to this extension range.

Thanks in advance

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

William Bell
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Liam,

Yes, you can block call setup using translation patterns with the blocking flag enabled. You will want to consider the logic CUCM uses for digit analysis.  CUCM will always prefer longest match.  So, this means that if you have the following:

Phone DN 7777 in partition DN-1_PT

Blocking translation 777X in partition Block_PT

Then the call won't be blocked. When I do a dial plan, I actually configure the gateway CSS so that it doesn't see the phone partitions directly. Instead, I will have the gateway CSS configured to see a set of translation patterns which allows access to the phones. This way, when I need to block a range of extensions is pretty straight forward.

Example:

Gateway_CSS contains partition Inbound-Allow and Inbound-Block

[2-8]XXX is in partition Inbound-Allow

777X is in partition Inbound-Block

A call to 7770 to 7779 is blocked.

As far as whether it affects both internal and external calls, that depends on whether the blocking transliation is visible from the gateway CSS and phone CSS or not. It also depends on whether there is a longer digit match that gets around the translation pattern.

HTH.

Regards,

Bill

Please rate helpful posts.

HTH -Bill (b) http://ucguerrilla.com (t) @ucguerrilla

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

William Bell
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Liam,

Yes, you can block call setup using translation patterns with the blocking flag enabled. You will want to consider the logic CUCM uses for digit analysis.  CUCM will always prefer longest match.  So, this means that if you have the following:

Phone DN 7777 in partition DN-1_PT

Blocking translation 777X in partition Block_PT

Then the call won't be blocked. When I do a dial plan, I actually configure the gateway CSS so that it doesn't see the phone partitions directly. Instead, I will have the gateway CSS configured to see a set of translation patterns which allows access to the phones. This way, when I need to block a range of extensions is pretty straight forward.

Example:

Gateway_CSS contains partition Inbound-Allow and Inbound-Block

[2-8]XXX is in partition Inbound-Allow

777X is in partition Inbound-Block

A call to 7770 to 7779 is blocked.

As far as whether it affects both internal and external calls, that depends on whether the blocking transliation is visible from the gateway CSS and phone CSS or not. It also depends on whether there is a longer digit match that gets around the translation pattern.

HTH.

Regards,

Bill

Please rate helpful posts.

HTH -Bill (b) http://ucguerrilla.com (t) @ucguerrilla

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

wow Bill, thats a gr8 way to explain in, it also helped me with a similar issue

I agree...that's a great explanation and well deserving a good rating.  +5 to Bill!

Please rate helpful posts!

Liam McDonnell
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks Bill, great explanation easy to follow and will definitely be implementing as suggested.

Thanks again.

Jason Hendrix
Level 1
Level 1

How about CUCM 9.1(2) & C2951 H.323 gateway, not MGCP?

You have several options on h323 gateway. You can use voice translation rules to block calls or you can also use the approach described by William here

Please refer to this link to see how to configure call blocking

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-1850

Please rate all useful posts

"opportunity is a haughty goddess who waste no time with those who are unprepared"

Please rate all useful posts

My system CUCM 9.1(2), c2951 H323, w/CUE (auto attendant). Site wanted DID number not to called but not blocked to go to the AA recording. So I did a num-exp. Where DID number = AA number, see below. The numbers still work internally extension to extension. I dod a lot of num-exp's. First number is the DID number being redirected to the second AA number.

xxxiVG01(config)#num-exp xxx9903533 xxx9903457