cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Breaking a 3750 stack with 2 switches

CBESTBONE_2
Level 1
Level 1

We are moving our Data Center. We are looking to do it peicemeal. If I were to break the stack, put one of the switches in the new data center temporarily, and then once we have things working move the second switch there. My question is twofold.

1. What would that do to the current stack, and what would the remifications be? Would it break it, and neither switch would not function?

2. Would I then need to reconfigure the second switch, and if so, how?

I am running version 12.2(55) SE3 Release Software (fc1)

I remember reading somewhere that this would not be an issue, and that all one needs to ensure, is that the IOS is running on both the master and slave. If that is the case.

3. How do I know if it is on the slave? When you log into the switch all you are seeing is the group config, so you cannot determine what is on the slaves.

I would appreciate any help, especially from those who have done this before.

3 Replies 3

Anas Abueideh
Level 9
Level 9

Hi,

I have configured a stack last week.

1- if you remove one from the stack, the stack will continue working.

2- for the removed one, you need to assign a new management IP. may you need to re-numbering the interfaces.

3- if you connect remotely via telnet or ssh, you can't determine since you are connecting to one box. if you are connected via console, you will see the Master LED green on the left.

HTH

Anas

please rate if it is helpful

Martin Hart
Level 1
Level 1

If you log in through the console and enter show switch this will show you both switches in the stack. The switch numbers and which is master. Even when you split the stack the second switch port number will still be 2/0/1 etc. break the stack. Conf t on the second switch then switch 2 then enter switch 2 renumber 1. Save and reboot. Then config t no switch 2 provision model number. Change the switch management IP make sure all VLANs are configured as required. On switch 1 conf t no provision switch 2 model number this will stop the ports from switch 2 appearing in the config of switch 1. Hope this helps please mark correct if this helps

Martin

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Your fomatting and description could be a little more clear, but I got it and your answer works well. Thank you!