Views
Helpful
Replies

CALL MANAGER 8

adeep.paul
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I just want to install call manager 8.0 in my company .. all i have one  ASA5510, 3 IP phones ,Switch 2950 and a leased conncetion of 2mbps ...is this stuff enough ....

5 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Steven Stuart
Level 1
Level 1

Are you asking about Call Manager Express or a Call Manager Server?

For Express you will require a router with a voice IOS image to be able to set that up.

As for your switch it doesn't provide POE so you will need power supplies for your phones.

View solution in original post

Connect your CUCM server to your LAN.

How do you communicate with the exhange? PRI BRI?

Create another VLAN on the switch as a voice vlan.

Create a DHCP scope for the Voice subnet and add option 150.

You will need to have a voice gateway to communicate to the exchange.

I would recommend an H.323 voice gateway setup.

You will require a router with an Voice IOS on it to act as the gateway for voice if you have ISDN services.

Yes it can pass voice traffic over a WAN link but I am not sure if you can setup H.323 commands on the

ASA to make it act like a voice gateway. I have never used an ASA for that purpose.

How are you connecting your phones to the PSTN for communications?

Not that I am aware of. You would need a router with an FXO port or

ISDN PRI or BRI card in it. The ASA doesn't provide add on modules for voice. It can however allow voice

traffic to pass over a voice VLAN on the ASA. I use a 2621XM router which is cheap to get off of EBAY and I added and FXO card into it and connected it to my PSTN line with Call Manager 8 on a local LAN so that I could make outbound going phone calls. Without an FXO or ISDN card you won't be able to communicate to the PSTN. The only other way I am aware of is using an ITSP or Internet Telephony service provider that would give you the connectivity to the PSTN through there equipment over the WAN.

11 Replies 11

Steven Stuart
Level 1
Level 1

Are you asking about Call Manager Express or a Call Manager Server?

For Express you will require a router with a voice IOS image to be able to set that up.

As for your switch it doesn't provide POE so you will need power supplies for your phones.

Hi,

i am asking about cucm server.. and how i connect my wan link to this voip network.see i am already using asterisk here . i just want to try cisco cucm.

Connect your CUCM server to your LAN.

How do you communicate with the exhange? PRI BRI?

Create another VLAN on the switch as a voice vlan.

Create a DHCP scope for the Voice subnet and add option 150.

You will need to have a voice gateway to communicate to the exchange.

I would recommend an H.323 voice gateway setup.

You will require a router with an Voice IOS on it to act as the gateway for voice if you have ISDN services.

Hi Steave ,

Can't we use ASA5510 as a voice gateway . Here in my company Voice packets are sent throgh asa .

Yes it can pass voice traffic over a WAN link but I am not sure if you can setup H.323 commands on the

ASA to make it act like a voice gateway. I have never used an ASA for that purpose.

How are you connecting your phones to the PSTN for communications?

Hi Steave ,

Here we are using PRI,E1 line ......and PSTN is connected to Digium card....I think we need a FXo port ???/

Hi Steave,

The problem is that we dont have a router here ...Is tere any alternatives..???

Not that I am aware of. You would need a router with an FXO port or

ISDN PRI or BRI card in it. The ASA doesn't provide add on modules for voice. It can however allow voice

traffic to pass over a voice VLAN on the ASA. I use a 2621XM router which is cheap to get off of EBAY and I added and FXO card into it and connected it to my PSTN line with Call Manager 8 on a local LAN so that I could make outbound going phone calls. Without an FXO or ISDN card you won't be able to communicate to the PSTN. The only other way I am aware of is using an ITSP or Internet Telephony service provider that would give you the connectivity to the PSTN through there equipment over the WAN.

Hi Steave,

If i download cucm server ...Can we conncet ip phones to it and check its working..what are the procedures for that...in my case...??????

I have no idea of where you could download CUCM 8.0 from. If you manage to get the software
you can load it onto a PC or server using VMWare. Other than that you will require a Cisco approved server to load the software onto.