Views
Helpful
Replies

Call routing over SIP trunk between CUCM and SBC

dtran
Level 6
Level 6

Hi all,

I just got a SIP trunk configured between my CUCM 10.5 and an SBC and all is looking good. But for some reason I can't get calls to go across the SIP trunk. Please see the call-flow below,

Caller comes in through my CUC auto attendant enters my extension 1111 and I've configured my extension 1111 in Unity to send the call to 213.222.3535 and I've configured a route pattern of 1213.222.3535 in CUCM and associate it to the SIP but for reason CUCM keeps routing the call to my PSTN gateway instead of over the SIP trunk. Any ideas all ?? I app appreciate any inputs/suggestions !!!

CUCM SBC SIP Trunk.png

Thanks in advance !!!

Danny

9 Replies 9

With the shared information it is not possible to give you any specific advice on this. You’d need to share a bit more details about your configuration so that we can understand your setup. Have you done a DNA to see what it reveals about the path the call takes through your call routing setup?

Response Signature

Hi Roger, thank you very much for the response !!! 

I did some testing and made some changes to the route pattern and I can now see test calls are going over the SIP trunk (see attached DNA) but now I am getting a fast busy signal. I suspect something is on the SBC side not accepting incoming calls ? any ideas ? 

Thanks Roger !!!

Danny

Please share the output from debug ccsip message from your SBC.

Response Signature

TONY SMITH
Spotlight
Spotlight

First thing I'd do, if you're now routing the call to the correct place, is grab SIP debugs for the call leg from CUCM to SBC.  You can either get these from CUCM traces, or a packet capture on the interface.

TONY SMITH
Spotlight
Spotlight

Assuming the SBC is a Cisco IOS device.

Another quick question, do ANY calls work over that path?

Thanks gents !!! very much appreciate your response !!!!

Unfortunately ... I do not have access to the SBC. This is a new setup. I'll have to get with someone to run some debugs on the SBC. 

Danny

TONY SMITH
Spotlight
Spotlight

It's better if you can take debugs yourself, although you may well need to involve the SBC people at some stage.  If you don't have direct access to the SBC you can collect the SIP messages from CUCM trace files (use "TranslatorX" to view them)

CUCM also supports taking a packet capture itself ..

https://community.cisco.com/t5/collaboration-voice-and-video/packet-capture-on-cucm-appliance-model/ta-p/3118507

Or finally depending on your switching you may be able to setup a SPAN port and collect with Wireshark on a PC.

tskiver
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Danny,

Making a big assumption based on the info and diagram.

Looks like you may be trying to integrate the new SBC and migrate from the old PRIs or is this a greenfield install? You mentioned it being a new setup, but I'm assuming CUCM has been in production since it's running on 10.5 and the new component is only the SBC?

Please elaborate on the question above and we can provide additional assistance.

Making big assumptions based on your diagram and information provided 

The fast busy signal is most likely coming from your internal Voice Gateway/Router that the SBC connects to. Can you provide the output from your internal VG/Router? show-running config on the VG would be useful. It does look like the outbound call may be going where it needs to, but is it pointed directly at the SIP Trunk or is it a route list?

The output you attached from DNA is showing what looks to be an outbound call, but your original post sounds like you're referring to an inbound call?

Finally, if all the assumptions above are correct the full inbound call flow based on your original post from an external cell phone would look like this:

From cell Caller dials Main Number/DID ---> SBC ---> Internal Voice Gateway/Router ---> SIP Trunk to CUCM ---> In CUCM a Translation pattern, CTI Route Point, etc accepts the call ---> CUC SIP Trunk ---> CUC Forwarded routing rule is matched ---> Then routed to the Auto-Attendant ---> In CUC Forwarded routing rule is matched ---> Routed to the Auto-Attendant

There would need to be digit manipulation among other things to make this work.

The outbound call flow to an external number would look like this:

Cisco IP Phone ---> Route Pattern ---> Route List ---> Route Group ---> SIP Trunk in CUCM ---> Voice Gateway/Router ---> SBC ---> External Called Number.

Again there are too many variables and the majority of the time if the issue is on the provider side you would not receive a fast busy, but a message from ATT, Verizon, etc.

@tskiver wrote:

The fast busy signal is most likely coming from your internal Voice Gateway/Router that the SBC connects to.

The diagram and the DNA output show CUCM talking directly to the SBC, not via an intermediate gateway.