Views
Helpful
Replies

Caller ID Name over SIP Trunk

Scott Hanson
Level 3
Level 3

Hello,

I have Call Manager 7.1(5)   using a SIP trunk to a 2811 talking to a 3rd party PBX using a SIP trunk to the same 2811.  Routing the calls through dial peers.  Works fine except for Caller ID Name.   When the calling system dials a 4 digit extension that exists on the called system the calling phone only shows the number dialed, not the name.  The called system does show the name of the calling party though.  Is there a way to inject caller ID name so that the calling system sees the name of the extension being called not just the number?  I was thinking somehow it could be manipulated in the dial-peers

I have confirmed through debugs that called party name is not showing up at the gateway.  This problems exists for calls going both ways.

Thanks in advance. All replies rated...       

8 Replies 8

Ayodeji Okanlawon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

On CUCM, have you configured the display name for the extension? If the name is not passed to the gateway then that means CUCM is not sending it...So configure it first and test again

Please rate all useful posts

"opportunity is a haughty goddess who waste no time with those who are unprepared"

I'm not sure I understand.  To clarify, if I call from Call Manager to 3rd party PBX on the CM phone I only see the 4 digit extension that I dialed and not the name of the person being dialed.  CM to CM shows name and number being dialed.  Same goes for calling from 3rd party PBX to CM.  When a call is being made from CM extension to another CM extension you are shown the name and number you are calling because CM is aware of the name and number.  This is just like calling out to the PSTN.  You are only shown the number you dialed not the name because CM is not aware of that.  I was hoping that since this call hits a 2821 router with dial-peers the name of the person you are dialing could be sent back to CM from the 2821.

My apologies...I get you now..You are calling the 3rd party pbx via a route pattern pointing to the CUBE (2821) gateway...

That means that the 3rd party pbx should send the connected name display...

Can you send debug ccsip messages?

"opportunity is a haughty goddess who waste no time with those who are unprepared"

Correct.  I am mobile at the moment and don;t have access to the debugs but I can tell you that the "To" field only contains the number dialed not the name.  After thinking about it this could also be accomplished if there was a way to associate a name with the route patterns.

No you cant associate names with route pattern..What model of PBX is this? Yes please send the debugs...

Thanks.  The Debugs are attached.

This trace shows that the call coming from cucm to the gateway is sending the calling name and number. and the gateway sends it to the pbx.

From: "Agent Smith" <8520>;tag=724290b6-2bb1-43b5-aecd-7d36788839da-17740437

Allow-Events: presence

P-Asserted-Identity: "Agent Smith" <8520>

But I noticed that this call wasnt completed..You cancelled it. I need to see what happens when the call is connected.

Do you see the calling name ?

What model of pbx is this?

You are correct in that this call shows who the call is from.  This call was made from CM to the 3rd party PBX.  The name and number shows up on the 3rd party PBX phone.  The problem is that only the number dialed shows up on the Cisco IP phone.  Check the "To" field in the debug. 

If I call from a Cisco phone to another Cisco phone my phone shows me the name and number of who I am calling because CM is aware of both extension and has the extension I am calling in the database.  This does not happen when I call out over the SIP trunk because neither system is aware of the name associated with the extension on the other side.  I am trying to get name AND number to show up on the calling phone, not the called phone.