cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

calls between 7942 sccp and 8811 sip phones

arrul-cco
Level 1
Level 1

Calls between SCCP Phone (example 7942 with latest version of firmware) to SOP phone (8811 with latest firmware) require MTP resources?

I couldn’t find any document clearly explaining this call scenario in detail

5 Replies 5

arrul-cco
Level 1
Level 1

Sorry, there is a typo in my previous statement. NOT SOP, it is SIP phone

Calls between SCCP Phone (example 7942 with latest version of firmware) to SIP phone (8811 with latest firmware) require MTP resources?

I couldn’t find any document clearly explaining this call scenario in detail

Hi Arul,

If your question is because there are two different protocols SCCP and SIP, the answer is NO. CUCM architecture is designed so that the Call Control component can setup calls between two devices no matter which protocol they use, it is protocol neutral at this level, there are 4 protocols that CUCM supports SCCP (Proprietary protocol), SIP (IETF Standard), MGCP (IETF Standard) and H323 (ITU Standard). MTP is used for Re-packetization of a stream, DTMF Conversion, among others.

Take a look at this link for a better understanding of MTPs

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/srnd/collab10/collab10/media.html

Thank you very much for your quick reply.

In SRND, it explain as follow

DTMF Relay between Endpoints in the Same Unified CM Cluster, The following rules apply to endpoints registered to Unified CM servers in the same cluster:

• A combination of a SIP endpoint and a non-SIP endpoint might require MTPs.

Regards

Arul

Arul,

Yep, and as it states “DTMF tones are used during a call to signal to a far-end device for purposes of navigating a menu system, entering data, or other manipulation”, the devices to which this refers is a combination of IP phones, trunks and gateways in the system since DTMF tones have to traverse these  devices to reach out for example an IVR system (they "might require MTPs" because it depends on the capabilities of the devices involved in the call). For simple communication between two IP phones it is not required since you don’t need to send DTMF tones between IP phones, or at least I cannot think of a situation in which you need to do it.

Sounds goods, Thank you very much for your time. It is clear to me now. Thanks a lot again