cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

can I use region-specific IP phone firmware in another region?

Oak Ridge
Level 1
Level 1

I have customers in LA, and they are using this firmware: 

cmterm-8831-sip.10-3-1SR3-4-LA.cop.sgn

Can customers in other region use that firmware?  what configuration /setting needs to add? 

5 Replies 5

Troy Jackson
Level 1
Level 1

Unfortunately, you cannot use the same firmware everywhere as this has to do with the wireless microphone and Wireless Regulatory Domains. You can find this in the release notes below: 

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cuipph/8831/firmware/10-3-1-sr4/cs38_b_rns-8831-8831nr-1031sr4.pdf

Troy 

Please remember to rate useful posts, by clicking on the star below.
-Troy J.

if I use the the LA load in LA region, what should I configure in CUCM to make it work? 

Sorry for the delay. User locales need to be loaded to Call Manager as patches (cop files) e.g.

https://software.cisco.com/download/home/284738433/type/282074291/os/Linux/release/9.3%25283%2529

You may already have this configured on your CUCM. But once it's loaded you change it under phone configuration.

image.png

-Troy J.

Is it "user locale" or "network locale"?  The documentation says: 

The network locale contains a definition of the tones and cadences that the phone in a specific geographic area uses. The user locale identifies a set of detailed information to support users, including language and font.

another question: 

If I choose EU load for 8831, but my locale (either user locale or network locale) has no "EU" option, only country like Germany. So will the EU load for 8831 work with "Germany" locale?  

thanks a lot. 

Cisco uses regional designations like “EU” which means APAC, EMEA, and Australia that spans over 4 continents. It does include Germany. So, it will work if you select it. The user locale and network locale are two separate attributes that are not required. But if the phone is in Germany you should change the locales so it will work properly in that location. Not only for things like DTMF but for languages as well. Sorry for the confusion.

-Troy J.