Views
Helpful
Replies

Can't convert 7940 from SCCP to SIP

jsommers
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I recently acquired some 7940 and 7960 IP phones running SCCP that I want to convert to sip for my home lab. They have the universal application loader on them. I have a TFTP server with firmware file P0S30100 and the OS79XX.txt file with the correct firmware name in it. When I boot up the phone after it gets an IP It says TFTP P0S30100.loads then verifying loads but it stops verifying loads and goes right into the sccp mode. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

Jack

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

TONY SMITH
Spotlight
Spotlight

What version are the currently running?  For the 7960 and 7940 there are some version upgrades that can't be done all in one step, see applicable release notes for your actual version, but for example from 8.1(2)SR2 release notes ..

You cannot upgrade to firmware release 8.1(2)SR2 directly from firmware release 8.0(5) or an earlier release.
You upgrade to firmware release 8.1(1) first, then upgrade from release 8.1(1) to release 8.1(2)SR2.

So if your SCCP phones are running anything old it might be worth upgrading them to 8.1(1) and then to your preferred version, staying SCCP.  Only convert to SIP once they're fully updated.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

TONY SMITH
Spotlight
Spotlight

What version are the currently running?  For the 7960 and 7940 there are some version upgrades that can't be done all in one step, see applicable release notes for your actual version, but for example from 8.1(2)SR2 release notes ..

You cannot upgrade to firmware release 8.1(2)SR2 directly from firmware release 8.0(5) or an earlier release.
You upgrade to firmware release 8.1(1) first, then upgrade from release 8.1(1) to release 8.1(2)SR2.

So if your SCCP phones are running anything old it might be worth upgrading them to 8.1(1) and then to your preferred version, staying SCCP.  Only convert to SIP once they're fully updated.