cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CDP/LLDP

andy.butler
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys, quick question. if i have a switch that does not support CDP (cause its not cisco) and doesnt support LLDP will this prevent me using cisco IP Telephony.

what is the impact...can i configure the phones in a different manner and will PoE work?

6 Replies 6

Nadeem Ahmed
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

this is the two standard used accross industry for communication between devices, both CDP and LLDP basically serve the same purpose, they provide a method for network devices to communicate information about themselves.

using CDP carreed vlan by cdp packets to the phones, if  non-cisco phone then LLDP used to send the vlan info. I do not think any other standard which can be used or compatible to make it work in different manner.

Br,

Nadeem Ahmed

Br, Nadeem Please rate all useful post.

refer to the switch relese note once, also refer the below link which explains the Cisco Switch's power management to the device in case both CDP and LLDP are disabled.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2960c_3560c/software/release/12-2_55_ex/release/notes/ol24071.html#wp1171642

Maximum Power Allocation (Cutoff Power) on a PoE Port

When power policing is enabled, the switch determines the cutoff power on the PoE port in this order:

1. Manually when you set the user-defined power level that the switch budgets for the port by using thepower inline consumption default wattage global or interface configuration command

2. Manually when you set the user-defined power level that limits the power allowed on the port by using the power inline auto max max-wattage or the power inline static max max-wattage interface configuration command

3. Automatically when the switch sets the power usage of the device by using CDP power negotiation or by the IEEE classification and LLDP power negotiation.

Use the first or second method in the previous list to manually configure the cutoff-power value by entering the power inline consumption default wattage or the power inline [ auto | static max ] max-wattagecommand. If you do not manually configure the cutoff-power value, the switch automatically determines the value by using CDP power negotiation. If the switch cannot determine the value by using one of these methods, it uses the default value of 15.4 W.

On a switch with PoE+, if you do not manually configure the cutoff-power value, the switch automatically determines it by using CDP power negotiation or the device IEEE classification and LLDP power negotiation. If CDP or LLDP are not enabled, the default value of 30 W is applied. However without CDP or LLDP, the switch does not allow devices to consume more than 15.4 W of power because values from 15400 to 30000 mW are only allocated based on CDP or LLDP requests. If a powered device consumes more than 15.4 W without CDP or LLDP negotiation, the device might be in violation of the maximum current ( Imax) limitation and might experience an Icut fault for drawing more current than the maximum. The port remains in the fault state for a time before attempting to power on again. If the port continuously draws more than 15.4 W, the cycle repeats.

Note When a powered device connected to a PoE+ port restarts and sends a CDP or LLDP packet with a power TLV, the switch locks to the power-negotiation protocol of that first packet and does not respond to power requests from the other protocol. For example, if the switch is locked to CDP, it does not provide power to devices that send LLDP requests. If CDP is disabled after the switch has locked on it, the switch does not respond to LLDP power requests and can no longer power on any accessories. In this case, you should restart the powered device.

OK, so if this is a phone that only draws say 8w....the switch cannot allocate the remaining power budget to the other ports like it can if cdp/lldp are used....but it will not push 30w to the phone causeing it to fail....right?

and Nadeem i think you are saying we have a way to configure the Voice Vlan in the phone so this is still possible?

Yes, you are correct and Switch will not push 30W.

Regarding the VLAN setting you can refer the below URL for 7962 and 42 Phones and you can also refer the Administration Guide for the model of the phone you are interested.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cuipph/7962g_7942g/6_0/english/administration/guide/7962G-Admin-Book-Wrapper/7962net.html#wp1031028

Thanks,

Kasi

thanks Everybody

Nadeem Ahmed
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Just to correct. This is going to work if you hardcode vlan informaiton on phone, here we are just by passing CDP/LLDP mechanism where vlan information shared, since we have already hardcode the phone with correct then it should work as desired. POE should not be problem here it was just a matter how communication is going to happen that was my concern which i have already stated out here.

Br,

Nadeem

Br, Nadeem Please rate all useful post.