Views
Helpful
Replies

CFUR behavior when phone is OFF due to EnergyWise policy

jose.albino
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Team,

I am considering deploying an EnergyWise network and use it to disable phones PoE from the network. I only have here a problem with the following scenario:

1.     Configuration of SRST enable phones are using on CUCM a CFUR( Call Forward Unregister) in order to make sure that the Extensions associated with the phones are still reachable on the SRST site, using the PSTN external number. This feature allows me to have a full redundant system, as the SRST will still be reachable using internal extensions, that are automatically mapped to the CFUR.

2.  The problem arises, in a situation where someone tries to call that phone on a schedule where the energywise policy has disabled that phone. And CUCM will forward the call to the PSTN.

Can i use a configuration on CUCM to avoid this situation? Will CUCM know that the phone has been disconnected due to a enerywise policy, and not due to a WAN Failure?

Regards,

José Albino

2 Replies 2

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

No, CUCM only knows of phone registration due to the keepaliveACK the phone sends to CUCM's keepalives, and there's only one kind of them.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Hello Jaime,

Yes, i know that CUCM uses Keepalive ACK to check if phone is registered. But as CUCM also knows that the phone uses a specific configuration for energywise it is possible to use this information and disregard the CFUR being used for SRST.

Does Cisco has plans to provide a better integration with CUCM, SRST enabled sites, and EnergyWise enable phones. The main problem here in this situation, is that a loop within CUCM will occur when forwarding the call to the remote site, as the WAN is still UP.

So in order to activate EnergyWise on phones, that are SRST enabled we are actually creating a security issue.

What would be the best methods to mitigate this situation.

Regards,

José Albino