Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Changing CPU Core Count - ESXi - Unity Connection 8.6

Hi everyone,

One of my engineers over-provisioned a Unity Connection OVA template, they have about 82 actual users but the OVA they installed was 10,000 so it's consuming unnecessary cores.

I was asked to reprovision this as lesser user count to free up some cores for other VM applications.

Question - can I shut down the server, changes the CPU configuraiton for the VM and boot it back up? Do I have to trash the server, create a new VM and restore from DRS?

Thanks!

3 Replies 3

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Assuming all the VM specs match a smaller OVA template just by changing the vCPUs, yes, otherwise, you'll need to DRS backup and restore on a new VM with less resources.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Take a look at the "Resize Virtual Machine" section for supported resizing:

http://docwiki.cisco.com/wiki/Unified_Communications_VMware_Requirements#Resize_Virtual_Machine

• Removing virtual hardware resources (vCPU, vRAM, vDisk, etc.) is not supported (similar to moving from a more powerful server to a less powerful server, such as MCS 7845 ⇒ MCS 7825). These migrations require backing up the application, reinstalling on a new OVA file, and and restoring the application.

HTH,

Chris

Just an FYI.  Every time Unity boots, it checks the hardware it is installed on.  Unless you have an exact match to an OVA template, it will tell you you are running on unsupported hardware.  You have to accept an agreement that you wont call TAC for support, and then it will continue to boot.  None of the other products (CallManager, Presence, UCCX) do this.

As silly as it sounds, that even includes adding more hardware than is necessary.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: