Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 7945G Rebooting while trying to upgrade

RCBA_ADMIN
Level 1
Level 1

Hi to all,

I have a Cisco 7945g a friend gave me as he gave up trying to upgrade it so now its my go

I have a tftp server setup as a dhcp server and the phone connects directly to the computer

I am upgrading the phone to sip firmware 8.5.2 unfortunately I do not know what version it is currently on all I know is it is currently using SCCP

What happens is the phone connects fine, gets the ip address then starts to download the term45 file and then just reboots

Not sure why hopefully you guys know

14 Replies 14

1. Unplug Ethernet & power cable (if applicable) from the back of the phone. 
  2. Press and hold the # (Pound/Hashtag) key and plug the Ethernet & power cable back in.
    *****Note: Once the Headset, Mute & Speaker buttons flash in sequence it is safe to release the # (Pound/Hashtag) key and promptly enter the reset key sequence​​​​
  3. Press in order 123456789*0# to begin the reset sequence. 

Reset the phone using above steps and try to load the firmware. 

Response Signature

Unfortunately it just comes back up with the upgrade screen 

RCBA_ADMIN
Level 1
Level 1

Heres what it is doing

I hope your upgrade file is on your laptop. So run TFTP applications on your laptop and keep the firmware files on the TFTP folder and on DHCP configure option 150 as your Laptops IP address. 

Use ZIP firmware File. 

Response Signature

Just to upgrade it I have the ethernet cable coming out of my computer and connected directly to the phone no switch or anything else

then the tftp server acts as a temporary dhcp server

You need a DHCp server and configure option 150 IP as your laptop IP. without that phone won't take the new firmware. 

Response Signature

How would I do that?

You need a switch.

Put the phone and pc on same Vlan

Configure DHCp pool With option 150 as your Laptop IP address. 

Run TFTP application on your laptop and keep the Firmware files on the TFTP folder. 

Response Signature

The computer and the phone are not connected to a network

the cable comes out of the computer and into the phone and that connects them

The phone need an IP and TFTP address either statically configured or by DHCP. With out the TFTP address information the phones is not going to download  the firmware. 

You cant make this   working just by connecting the phone to your computer. 

Response Signature

The TFTP application replicates a dhcp server the phone is allocated a ip address by the tftp server

The phone is getting a ip address

Scott Leport
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

Unless I missed it, it may help telling us what you're trying to register your phone to. Is it CUCM or CME?

I am trying to connect to a sip pbx system but right now I am just trying to update it

The phone starts downloading files the reboots almost immediately

Thanks 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: