cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 8811 Phone Power Consumption & enabling 'In Power Save mode'

dipars1953om
Level 1
Level 1

Would like to know the Power Consumption of Cisco 8811 IP Phone for the below areas:

1. Power Consumption used in CDP Protocol/Power IP Phone receive from PoE (in Watts): 
2. Actual Power Consumption when idle (in Watts):
3. Power Consumption in Power Save Mode (in Watts):

We want to use 'In Power Save mode', so the backlight will be turned off and when we pick up the receiver or do any activity then only the backlight will turn on and also, we will use the idle timer accordingly.
We have changed the 'Days Display Not Active', 'Display On Duration', & 'Display Idle Timeout' from 'Common Phone Profile' and applied that to one individual 8811 IP Phone.

However, on the PoE switch, we are not seeing any change on the power consumption watts. It is still showing 6.1 watts, but it should have been using less watts as we have turned off the backlight, right? 

How can we verify this?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

"show power inline" doesn't give a real-time power consumption.
It shows you, how much power the switch reserved for the phone. (also explained in the PDF by the way...)

Unbenannt.PNG

Unbenannt1.PNG

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

b.winter
VIP
VIP

Check the datasheet ... The forum is not here to do the google search for you.
And what should be the "power consumption used in CDP protocols" ?!

Hello Sir,

I do understand that you may be an expert, but I am trying to learn and definitely I will keep your kind suggestions in mind for future occasion. However, before posting it here I tried, but could not able to figure out the exact values I have requested in watts from datasheet. 

As you explained that it can be found from datasheet, in case you have some time, could you please help me with the values or may be the screenshot or link where I can get my answer from datasheet? 

Also, I have added a few more lines to the actual query to make it more interactive rather thinking that I am asking the forum to do google search for me. Thanks for pointing this out, my bad not to give the entire story before posting it. 

Thanks in advance. Take Care. 

Thanks for sharing this PDF, this is really informative, but this says all about the 'In Power Save Plus mode', so EnergyWise network is a requirement to have. 

But we only focusing on the 'In Power Save mode' not the 'plus' mode. As I said earlier, configuration is already done for a single 8811 IP Phone, but how can we verify that the Phone is actually utilizing the lesser power than the normal time when the backlight is turned off. 

If you would read the document, you would recognize the following points:
- The PDF clearly states different columns in table 1 for "power save" and "power save plus" modes
- How to check the power allocation on the switch

I can't do the reading for you ...

Again Sir, with all due respect, I am not asking you to read the PDF for me. I am trying to do a conversation here not asking you to do something for me. If by any chance that is being portrayed, then I am really sorry here. 

I still reading and doing my research and in parallel trying to establish this conversation. 

I did see the table where for 8811 IP Phones, it has been mentioned that it will use 3.5 watts of power when we are using 'In Power Save mode', but when I apply the command on PoE 'sh power inline' it still shows 6.1 watts. Without 'In Power Save mode' also it was showing 6.1 watts. 

So, this is where I am getting confused. 

"show power inline" doesn't give a real-time power consumption.
It shows you, how much power the switch reserved for the phone. (also explained in the PDF by the way...)

Unbenannt.PNG

Unbenannt1.PNG

Great! Thanks for your help! Will try the 'sh power inline police' command to see what we observe.