Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 8821 - Registering

JasonBusby
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

First off, let me apologise, I'm new to IP Telephony and even newer to Cisco kit so I'm not very good with all the terminology yet.

Basically, we have 3 8821's. We don't have a CUCM. I have just registered some 8861's, to do this, I browsed to their IP, entered the server URL i have, username and password for the phone and they registered fine. 

I have connected the 8821 to our Wifi and can browse to the IP but I just get a status page. I have checked the settings on the phone and Web Admin is disabled. Sadly it doesn't allow me to enable it. 

So a few questions. Can I register these without CUCM and if so how? 

Thank you

3 Replies 3

M02@rt37
VIP
VIP

Hi @JasonBusby

You need a Call Manager to register your ip phone.

Whatever if you use CUCM server or CME hosted on router, you need Call Manager in order to generate a SEP configuration file donwloaded to your ip phone by tftp.

Best regards
.ı|ı.ı|ı. If This Helps, Please Rate .ı|ı.ı|ı.

Here is the Cisco Wireless IP Phone 8821 and 8821-EX Administration Guide and the first topic is "Manually Set Up the Phone Network from the Settings Menu". This should help you access the configuration screen in the 8821 phone and set it up.

You wrote that you do not have CUCM. I assume, then, that you have some kind of a hosted solution where another company is hosting a call control system to run your phones. If you go through the setup process on your 8821 phones and it still does not work, then it is possible that your provider is not using CUCM Hosted Solution. Your 8861 phones have a firmware version that will allow them to be used with a non-CUCM call control system. However, the 8821 requires that either you are running CUCM or that your provider is running a CUCM Hosted Solution system. So, if set up your 8821 phones and it still does not register then contact your service provider and ask them for help.

Maren

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@JasonBusby wrote:

I have just registered some 8861's, to do this, I browsed to their IP, entered the server URL i have, username and password for the phone and they registered fine.  

Did the 8861 come with 3PCC firmware?  

@JasonBusby wrote:

Can I register these without CUCM and if so how?  

It can be done.  8821 doesn't support 3PCC firmware so it will have to be done using the "old fashion" way of incorporating Cisco phones to non-Cisco call controllers like Asterisk.