Views
Helpful
Replies

IP Phones hostname are flooding the DNS server

m.alkhateeb90
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings,

We recently upgraded a client IP Telephony infrastructure to CUCM ver 11.5, and added a new IP subnet to the IP phones. After the phones obtain their IP addresses from the DHCP server they automatically register them selves as a DNS entry with their hostname (e.g SEP001122334455).

I consulted a Microsoft Engineer and he advised this might be a feature in the DNS server where the endpoints can add their hostname as an A record, but for this to happen you have to enable the feature from the endpoints.

Any one encountered the same? Is their a feature maybe in the call manager 11.5 that does the same? Also note that this happens in one subnet only not all the subnets.

7 Replies 7

R0g22
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
SEP001122334455 >> this is not a DNS entry. There should not be a need for a A/SRV record for this. This is the device identity you might say. Does your CUCM cluster use FQDN or IP addresses ?
That would be a reason why would you see DNS requests from phones going out to your DNS.

Hi Nipun,

the attached screenshot is showing the problem.

DNS entries.jpg

You did not respond to all my questions. Are you servers configured with FQDN ? Where do you see these logs ? And what is the issue ?

Dear Nipun,

The server is configured with IP not FQDN.

The attached screenshot shows the DNS A record entries not LOG file. They appear in the Microsoft DNS Server.

Honestly, I am still not sure what the issue is. Why do you have A records for the phone device name in your DNS ?

That’s exactly my issue, why there is IP phones hostname A record in the DNS server without me adding them?

Interesting, never seen that before. Are you sure no one else has access to the server and was not trying to play around some phone registration issue ? Delete those and then monitor.