Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 8821 wireless with 9800-CL

Mario Manzano
Level 1
Level 1

Hello! 

Hope all is well and thanks for reading! 

I've been pulling my hair trying to get a Cisco 8821 phone to register in Call Manager, after attaching to an SSID created in a Cisco 9800-CL controller. 

The phone works fine and registers at a different site using an old 5508 controller with a configured SSID for voice. 

The CISCO guidelines to create the voice SSID on a 9800 controller were followed, yet after succesfully joining the SSID it will just NOT register to CM. 

One thing I did notice is that latency to CM from the phone jumps from < 50ms to >300ms seemingly at random, during a ping with 25 repetitions. 

We've conluded it's the SSID, but I've ran out of ideas on where to look. 

Can anyone help, please? 

Thank you!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

@Mario Manzano wrote:

3. C9120AXI-B

Hmmm ... 

@Mario Manzano wrote:

because it goes as far as to grab the wireless profile created in CM

I got another idea!  
So the phone gets an IP address, right?  If this is enabled on the FW, enter the IP address in a browser (https://<ip address>): 

1. Is this the first phone or just one phone of many but this phone is not working? 
  2. Has anyone cleared the CTL file?
  3. Is the IP address of the phone, subnet-wise, correct?  
  4. On the bottom of the Device Information page, look at the Time, Time Zone and Date.  Are they correct?  
  5. Go to the Network Setup page and look at the TFTP Server and CUCM Server sections.  Are these the correct ones?  

Additional Question:  Is WMM enabled?  If it is, try to disable WMM and see if the phone works.  

Before I forget, when we get this fixed, upgrade the phone's firmware to 11.0(6)SR2.

View solution in original post

16 Replies 16

TomMar1
Level 3
Level 3

Is option 150 enabled?

Try to manually set the TFTP server address in the phone settings and see if that makes a difference.

Yes ... the voice SSID hangs from the actual designated voice vlan so I know option 150 is there and works. 

We tried to hardcode the TFTP on the phone to no avail. One thing thougn, the phone does manage to download the config file, because it goes as far as to grab the wireless profile created in CM and displays it on the list "8821-WLANDefault" is the given name... it's just that the son of a pancake will NOT register after that. 

it does not drop it does not lose the IP, it continues to be attached to the SSID, but won't register while on that controller; but it's fine on the other one. 

Thank you! 

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
  1. What firmware is the 8821 running on?
  2. What firmware is the WLC on? 
  3. What is the model of the AP?
  4. What QoS is enabled on the SSID?

Hello Leo!  .. here ya go... Thank you!

1. 11-0-6SR1-4

2. Cisco IOS XE Software, Version 17.03.04c

3. C9120AXI-B

4. Platinum both ways.

@Mario Manzano wrote:

3. C9120AXI-B

Hmmm ... 

@Mario Manzano wrote:

because it goes as far as to grab the wireless profile created in CM

I got another idea!  
So the phone gets an IP address, right?  If this is enabled on the FW, enter the IP address in a browser (https://<ip address>): 

1. Is this the first phone or just one phone of many but this phone is not working? 
  2. Has anyone cleared the CTL file?
  3. Is the IP address of the phone, subnet-wise, correct?  
  4. On the bottom of the Device Information page, look at the Time, Time Zone and Date.  Are they correct?  
  5. Go to the Network Setup page and look at the TFTP Server and CUCM Server sections.  Are these the correct ones?  

Additional Question:  Is WMM enabled?  If it is, try to disable WMM and see if the phone works.  

Before I forget, when we get this fixed, upgrade the phone's firmware to 11.0(6)SR2.

Hey Leo! ... 

Unfortunately, the web interface access option is NOT enabled on the phone; so until it registers it gives me the proverbial finger. 

1. This is the first wireless phone for this new controller, not the first for the voice vlan. 

2. CTL file ahs been cleared several times. 

3. IP is correct, all info is correct... 

4. Time, zone and all are correct... 

5. TFTP servers are correct... we haave tried manually and otherwise... no joy. 

I don't think we've tried disabling WMM.. so we'll give that a shot later... worth a shot! 

Funny you mention the firmware, I had forgotten that back when we got it, I updated the CM files because the phone came with an even older firmware... and when we joined it to the SSID, it ended up actually updating the firmware... but it took a ridiculously amount of time. 

I think we are getting close to figure out what it is ... either it's a setting like WMM or the latency is killing it for registration. 

Thank you sir! ... it's a Monday and they are never fun, but I'll post findings when we can get back to this issue today or tomorrow. 

@Mario Manzano wrote:

4. Time, zone and all are correct... 

5. TFTP servers are correct

I am not a phone guy but I do help them a bit with the initial bits of phones reaching CM.  If the time, timezone and date are all correct, the phone has been able to contact the CM correctly (maybe just the TFTP server).  Look at the server where the phone is meant to be go to and confirm the phone's MAC address is in that CM.  

Thank you Leo! 

I'm not a phone guy either, but I've learned under a really good CCIE... so I'm with you! 

I kept going in circles and trying not to deviate much from configuration guides, mimicing the old controller settings.. and nothing! 

I'd have never thought about WMM until you mentioned it. 

As you well say, it was talking to the TFTP server it just would not register or at least not stay registered! 

Thank you again sir for your time!  

@Mario Manzano wrote:

Specifically, taking out (turn off) the WMM setting did the trick. 

That is a wireless bug (maybe CSCvw67752).  

Raise a TAC Case (wireless).

Yes!! I'll do that because it may not "affect" any Joe Blow regular client.. but with a phone, it pretty much impedes function! 

Have a great evening! ... Much obliged! 

I know of this bug because I have hit it.  I am about to upgrade two 8540 to the 8.10MR6 because of this bug.

... and HALLLELLUYYEERRR!!! 

Specifically, taking out (turn off) the WMM setting did the trick. 

Which I'll find again on the configuration guide and make sure what it says. After reading articles, tricks, blogs, and CISCO guides I'm sure at some point I read it needed to be "Enabled" or "Required". 

In any case, I think I'll be posting the summary just in case someone else bumps into the same frustrating issue. 

Thank you for your help and time!! ... next step is to upgrade firmware. 

Hi,

Thanks for solution. it's good for me. i disabled WMM in wlan configuration and reboot phone.

@herve.hirsch wrote:

Thanks for solution. it's good for me. i disabled WMM in wlan configuration and reboot phone.

@herve.hirsch 

What is the firmware of the WLC and what is the model of the APs?