cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 8865 IP Phone identifies as a 7945

hankej
Level 1
Level 1

I have a strange issue with one of my 8865 IP Phones.  I have the phone set up as an 8865 IP Phone because that's what it is.  

It appears in Callmanager as:

2019-02-18_13-48-57.jpg

When I click on the IP Address of the phone to bring up the web page of the device, this is what it identifies itself as:

2019-02-18_13-52-11.jpg

Any idea as to how this is happening?  I've tried to push the latest 8845-65 firmware to it, but it doesn't get applied.  I have verified the MAC address with the user and have taken a picture of my 8865 and asked the user if this is what her phone looks like.  She confirmed that it is the same type phone and the MAC address she gave me is what I have set up for the phone.

When I do a search in CUCM for the MAC address of the phone that shows in the web page, it is for a 7945 phone with the IP Address of 10.254.7.12.

Thanks for the replies.

1 Reply 1

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
So the user’s phone is registered/working, is built as a 7945 in CUCM, and self-identifies as a 7945 on it’s web UI; however, the user claims it matches a picture of an 8865 - webcam and all?!

I hope this user is never called to pick a suspect out of a lineup at their local police precinct.

To answer the question asked: I don’t see how this is possible. The 7900 and 8800 series phones have entirely different code bases and underpinning hardware components. Getting an 8865 to boot 7945, or any other, firmware would require defeating the code digital signatures, which would be a heck of a PSIRT.