Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 88xx and 78xx 3PCC and Enterprise firmware investment protection

sbeukenkamp
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Cisco's cloud strategy with Cisco HCS, Broadsoft and Webex is moving fast. From an endpoint perspective customers have two major options:

1. Cisco 88XX / 78XX with enterprise firmware (CP-XXXX-K9), which can register by default to Cisco UCM or Cisco WebEx

2. Cisco 88XX / 78XX with 3PCC firmware (CP-XXXX-3PCC-K9) which can register by default to Broadworks or as third party endpoint to Cisco UCM.

What are the customers options to  move between major solutions?

Is it possible for a customer to protect its investment  to reuse i.e. a CP-88xx-K9 based phone and connect that to Broadworks with a 3PCC firmware image?

Is it possible for a customer to move to CUCM with a CP-88XX-3PCC-K9 based phone and load the enterprise image on it, when for some reason the customer needs CUCM specific features not available on Broadworks? ( I am aware that the price of a 3PCC based phone is way lower then the enterprise option)

(hardly do dare to ask in this community, but can we also register a CP-88XX-3PCC-K9 phone to Microsoft Skype for Business as endpoint (similar as with Yealink and SNOM).

Looking forward in hearing from you all.

Sijbren

7 Replies 7

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@sbeukenkamp wrote:

1. Cisco 88XX / 78XX with enterprise firmware (CP-XXXX-K9), which can register by default to Cisco UCM or Cisco WebEx

2. Cisco 88XX / 78XX with 3PCC firmware (CP-XXXX-3PCC-K9) which can register by default to Broadworks or as third party endpoint to Cisco UCM. 

Both Enterprise and 3PCC/MPP can register to non-Cisco call manager. 

@sbeukenkamp wrote:

Is it possible for a customer to protect its investment  to reuse i.e. a CP-88xx-K9 based phone and connect that to Broadworks with a 3PCC firmware image?

Is it possible for a customer to move to CUCM with a CP-88XX-3PCC-K9 based phone and load the enterprise image on it, when for some reason the customer needs CUCM specific features not available on Broadworks? ( I am aware that the price of a 3PCC based phone is way lower then the enterprise option)

It is no longer possible to convert from 3PCC/MPP to Enterprise and vice versa.

Hi @Leo Laohoo

Thank you for your prompt response.

I am unaware of the option to register a CP-88XX-K9 phone with its enterprise/MPP firmware to i.e. Broadworks. Can you share with us minimal firmware version and some reference material? For as far as I knew only 3PCC firmware is supported to work with Broadworks or other " standards" based SIP IP PABXs like Asterisk and Unify.

thx!

Sijbren

@sbeukenkamp wrote:

For as far as I knew only 3PCC firmware is supported to work with Broadworks or other " standards" based SIP IP PABXs like Asterisk and Unify. 

I was able to get a 9951/9971 to work with Asterisk.  (9951/9971 doesn't have 3PCC/MPP firmware, only SIP.)

It may not be in "parity" with Cisco-based call control but I'm able to get basic functions to work, like:  send/receive call, transfer calls (to different extensions), DND and Lenny.  

Hi Leo,

Thank you for sharing your insights. I am look for a formal and maintainable solution for businesses (midsize or corporate). Not worried to get " a "  phone to work, but from a (managed) service provider perspective we need to deal with onboarding time, central configuration management and firmware push.

How did you solve this? Do you also have experience with other type of Cisco phones with the Cisco SIP (MP) stack?)

Looking forward to the moment Cisco creates an option to easily move from an MP to a 3PCC firmware and visa-versa. Maybe even creating a more generic/uniform firmware which fully supports CUCM (MP), Broadsoft (including provisioning) (3PCC) and may be even Microsoft Teams. At the end a Cisco IP Phone is just an endpoint from which we can make money right? No matter to which UC solution it connects.

@sbeukenkamp wrote:

Do you also have experience with other type of Cisco phones with the Cisco SIP (MP) stack?)

Cisco phones are THE most difficult to get to work in non-Cisco call controllers.  If I (and a lot of people) can get Cisco SIP phones to work with Asterisk, then any other brand of phones are a "walk in the park".  

I am not talking about "a" (singular) phone.  I have several Cisco SIP phones.  

What you're asking for is a business-grade phone setup.  Cisco has a lot of solution to suit many shapes, sizes and budget.  

Start by looking at the 6800-series phones.

@sbeukenkamp wrote:

Looking forward to the moment Cisco creates an option to easily move from an MP to a 3PCC firmware and visa-versa. 

Not going to happen. 

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I strongly suggest you reach out to your SE for this conversation.

Any Cisco IP Phone with enterprise FW running SIP has the possibility to be used with 3rd party PBX (possibility does not equal it will work, or you'll get all the features it offers if not using Cisco Call control),caveat is, you need to deliver the IP Phone with all the configuration files it would receive from a Cisco Call control, manually formatted for each device with the necessary changes for your specific scenario. No Cisco guides on how to do that.

Enterprise FW phones have not been tested with BroadWorks, only the 3PCC variant has been tested and supported.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Phones can now be converted from Enterprise to 3PCC/MPP (and vice versa) -- for a fee.  

Cisco Cloud Upgrader