Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco IP phone 6921 and Plantronics HW251

syoo10081990
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone!

I am working as a Helpdesk at a company, and the users of the network have a Cisco Unified IP phone 6921 each one of them.

Some of them are using Plantronics' HW251/A headset, and they've been using it for a while now, but since last week all of the headsets stopped working...

The headsets are connected to the phones using a U10P-S cable, but none of them are working no matter which phone I plug them into. I also tried to plug them in different phones, using new cables, using a new headset... but any of these seem to be the solution...

Please I need help, these headsets were expensive and I don't want to have to buy new ones... Could it be something wrong with the phones themselves?

I also noticed that when hitting the headset button to check if I can hear any signal (which I don't), when I turn off the headset button I do hear like a "cut" noise, but anything else... Its frustrating because I know these headsets are functional, but I can't figure out how to make them work!

Thank you :)

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

In addition to what Cehill has said,there could be a similar issue as mentioned in below bug

7931 headset port burns out / becomes unusable with Plantronics headset
CSCtn03274
Symptom:

7931G IP phone interoperability with Plantronics HW251N or H81N headsets. Headset jack on the phones keep burning out with these headsets. RMA of the phone temporarily resolves, but the jacks will continue to burn out after a period of time.

Customer has had to replace 2 dozen Cisco 7931G phones because the head set jack gets burned. All phones are using Plantronics headset model HW251N or H81N. Phone functionality is not affected at all, it only messes up the headset port. When the Plantronics headset is used the agent will be able to hear the external caller but the caller cannot hear the agent. If customer moves the headset and cord to another phone it is fine and works for some time then the issue appears on that phone as well.

If customer plugs the headset to a different phone it works until it burns the headset jack. If customer plugs a different headset into the phone, it does not work, indicating that the headset jack is malfunctioning.

Conditions:

7931G phone with Plantronics HW251N or H81N headsets

regds,

aman

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Aman Soi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

Did u try connecting to Plantronics to other IP phone model ?

regds,

aman

Charles Hill
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Has the call manager or 6921 phone firmware been upgraded recently?

A new firmware could have a bug with the headsets, if they have recently been upgraded.

Trouble with all 6921 phones started at the same time, sounds like a possible firmware issue.

Our callmanager was recently upgraded, which upgraded the phone firmware, which cuased our 8945 phones to get stuck in the upgrade process.  Phones were attempting to upgrade from 9-3-2 to 9-4 and it failed.  We had to upgrade them to 9-3-4-17, then to 9-4.

Cehill

Hi,

In addition to what Cehill has said,there could be a similar issue as mentioned in below bug

7931 headset port burns out / becomes unusable with Plantronics headset
CSCtn03274
Symptom:

7931G IP phone interoperability with Plantronics HW251N or H81N headsets. Headset jack on the phones keep burning out with these headsets. RMA of the phone temporarily resolves, but the jacks will continue to burn out after a period of time.

Customer has had to replace 2 dozen Cisco 7931G phones because the head set jack gets burned. All phones are using Plantronics headset model HW251N or H81N. Phone functionality is not affected at all, it only messes up the headset port. When the Plantronics headset is used the agent will be able to hear the external caller but the caller cannot hear the agent. If customer moves the headset and cord to another phone it is fine and works for some time then the issue appears on that phone as well.

If customer plugs the headset to a different phone it works until it burns the headset jack. If customer plugs a different headset into the phone, it does not work, indicating that the headset jack is malfunctioning.

Conditions:

7931G phone with Plantronics HW251N or H81N headsets

regds,

aman

Hello Aman

For the symptoms, I dont think I burned out the headset jack, because I tried a spare U10P-S cable I had from previous orders and it worked miraculously...

Apparently all of the new cables I ordered are faulty, so I should try to get a refund for them or whatever... Thank you for taking your time writing a response, I will mark your answer as Correct since the symptoms described are similar to what happened to me. 

Thank you 

syoo10081990
Level 1
Level 1

Finally I found a cable that was working... Apparently ALL OF THE U10P-S CABLES I ordered were faulty... I found a spare one in one of the boxes in the server room and tried it, guess what? SOLVED hahaha 

Thank you all for your time, will keep in mind your replies for future issues :)

[+5] to you for posting updates and cehill for sharing his views.

regds,

aman