Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco IP Phone bulk registration with new CUCM platform

fuhrersk8
Level 3
Level 3

Hello guys!

Which is the best or elegant way to force re-registration of a large quantity of IP Phones with a new CUCM platform? I am in the process of migrating phones that are currently registered with an old CallManager version 4.1 to a CUCM 9.1.1a platform. I am going to change the TFTP option 150 on the DHCP server for the DHCP scope correspondong to the voice vlan.

Please advice on how to proceed in order to force ip phones to register with a new CUCM in order to minimize down time.

Thanks in advanced guys for your suggestions!

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Ayodeji Okanlawon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

Once you have configured your DHCP with the new options 150, just go to the old CUCM and reset the phones, that will do it for you. The phones will go through a reboot and obtain the new tftp ip and then re-register to the new CUCM server.

You need to be aware that your phones may not be able to upgrade their firmware if the firmware on the CUCM 4.1 is anything older than 8.5 firmware. I suggest you check that the firmware on them to know if you need to upgrade them first before the register with the new cluster

You dont have to worry about ITL files because they were only introduced in CUCM8.X

Please rate all useful posts

"opportunity is a haughty goddess who waste no time with those who are unprepared"

View solution in original post

Dear

go to call manager - device -device setting -device defaults. After that you will check the firmware.

Thank you

please rate , if this will help

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Tracy Larson
Level 4
Level 4

In the past I have just given the switches a reboot as something like this is usually a good opportunity to upgrade code on them all if needed. Also, if you are changing to new servers with new ip addresses and your phones dont register with the new cluster like you are exptecting - you may need to delete the CTL and/or ITL files from the phones.

Ayodeji Okanlawon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

Once you have configured your DHCP with the new options 150, just go to the old CUCM and reset the phones, that will do it for you. The phones will go through a reboot and obtain the new tftp ip and then re-register to the new CUCM server.

You need to be aware that your phones may not be able to upgrade their firmware if the firmware on the CUCM 4.1 is anything older than 8.5 firmware. I suggest you check that the firmware on them to know if you need to upgrade them first before the register with the new cluster

You dont have to worry about ITL files because they were only introduced in CUCM8.X

"opportunity is a haughty goddess who waste no time with those who are unprepared"

Thanks for the reply guys! Where can I verify phone load version (besides the phone itself) on the CallManager version 4.1 and CUCM 9.1.1a?

Dear

go to call manager - device -device setting -device defaults. After that you will check the firmware.

Thank you

please rate , if this will help

On CUCM 9.1,

Device>device settings>device defaults

You will see the default firmware load for each phone type.

On CUCM4.1, you need to check it differently

Go to device>device settings>firmware load information

Then on the right you will see device defaults, click on it and you will see the default firmware your phones are using

Excellent thanks a lot guys. I've just checked and firmware on CallManager 4.1 is SCCP41.8-4-1SR2S and on new CUCM 9.1 is firmware version SCCP41.9-3-1SR1-1S. As per release notes it says that firmware must be between 8.3(3) and 8.5(2) for direct upgrade so I am good to go on that one.

One more question for Cisco IP Phone 7912: Can firmware (SCCP) version CP7912080003SCCP070409A cna be directly upgraded to the next version CP7912080004SCCP080108A? Did not find it in release notes.

Thanks again for all your great support!