cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco IP Phone screen goes blank randomly - SIP firmware SIP45.9-3-1SR4-1s on CUCM 10

Umme
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I am facing issues with our newly migrated phone system. Our phones 7945g/7965g are running on the SIP45.9-3-1SR4-1s phone load. CUCM version 10.

Issue:

1. The phone screen goes blank for few seconds and then comes back up.

2. Sometime the phone screen goes on blank state for around 25-30 sec and then comes back automatically and during that time there were no dial-tone.

3. Phone screen goes blank and didn't come back untill we did power cycle on the phone to reboot. There were no dial-tine during that time.

4. Sometime few phone screen shows 'Registering' randomly and comes back after a while.

I checked the bug id (CSCum86645) that's mentioned in the other similar thread where the issue was with SCCP firmware but not quite the same symptoms.

Looking forward to get a resolution soon. Initially when I noticed I thought its my phone but then realized its wide-spreaded. Before the situation gets worst I need to figure out if the issue is with the firmware.

Thanks.

Umme

10 Replies 10

Manish Gogna
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Umme,

You can upgrade to the latest firmware on a couple of phones that are facing the issue more often than others and see if it helps. If it works, you can upgrade rest of the ip phones as well to the latest firmware. Else, this will require the following info to troubleshoot further:

1) Phone console logs

2) Packet captures from the IP phone for the duration leading upto the issue

Manish

- Do rate helpful posts -

Hi Manish,

We are planning to do some test with the newer firmware. However, I would really like to know what is happening.

If this is a firmware issue then Cisco should have it listed as caveat for this version. I can get the phone console logs no problem but getting the packet captures from the ip phone would be difficult as the issue happens very randomly.

I was hoping Cisco might have tested this firmware in their lab. Let see how it goes.

Have you heard from any other users who is using the same firmware and facing the this issue?

Rgds,

Umme

Hi Umme,

I couldn't find any matching bugs for this issue. That's why testing with the latest firmware on a couple of phones is the easiest test to rule out any firmware related issues. If the issue persists you may engage TAC with required logs and captures to identify the root cause of the issue.

Manish

Hi Manish,

We will test it with the new firmware and see how it goes. I have collected the console logs from two phones. Let's see how it goes with the firmware test first.

I will keep this thread updated with my results

Thanks.

Umme

Hi,

If things didn't go well, can you confirm if the phones are still registered when it goes blank.

Hi Mohammed,

I will check next time when it happens. I will let you know.

Thanks.

Umme

m.batts
Level 4
Level 4

Could it be related to this? CSCuq88325

Thanks for your reply. The issue is not quite related to CSCuq88325. Our phones are all registered. However, it goes blank randomly.

Umme
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

We are in a HCS environment and we moved our WAN link to the same provider as our HCS cloud. Ever since we did not have the issue. 

Not sure what caused the blank screen but it did not happened ever since we changed our WAN link.

Thanks

Umme

Hi,

As suggested earlier, looks that your WAN was having problem which was causing the phones to unregister from HCS. Seems to be your WAN is more stable now.

I am sure if you look at some reports during the time of the problem you will see WAN fluctuations

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: