cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco IP Phones with asterisk using sip and tls

caplinktech
Level 1
Level 1

I have a customer with some Cisco ip phones that's are currently registered and in use with an asterisk PBX server.

I am wondering if there is a way to enable tls and/or srtp on these phones to use connected to an asterisk machine.

My current thinking is that they do support it, however it may be difficult to generate the ctl file that may be needed to create the trust with the asterisk server.

Can anyone provide any insight here?

2 Replies 2

Brandon Pierce
Level 4
Level 4

The phones have a secure option in the XML so you might have some luck.  This is the website I use when I need to mess around with Asterisk:

http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Asterisk+phone+cisco+79xx

Thanks, I have/know most of the information available there, but it is another reference bookmark I can keep for the future.

My thinking I that as you mentioned, the device encryption option would need to be changed from none to authenticated or encrypted (based on the terms used in the Cisco docs for cucm). However, along with that, it appears that the CAPF settings would need to be changed and a ctl file generated containing the trusted certificate chain.  the last 2 pieces are going to be the difficult ones to do with guess and check, so I was hoping someone may have some documentation on it.