Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Jabber for Android Alternatives

Robert Shaw
Level 3
Level 3

Hi Folks,

Looking for suggestions of alternative apps to Jabber for Android that will work with CUCM 12.5 and latest versions of expressways.

We have a large user base that are trying to use Jabber for Android.  There seems to be a massive problem with the app at the moment, just take a look at the current Play Store feedback!

As our staff are all remote, we're looking to see if we can offer them any alternatives until Cisco fix the issue with Jabber.  This has been going on for some time now, so we need to do something.

We do have an open TAC Case but we're just going back and forth with questions and answers, nothing really moving.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

MRA only works with Jabber and Cisco IP Phones if that's what you're looking for, there's no alternative if you want to use MRA.

If you don't want to use MRA but use VPN you would need to search for XMPP and SIP clients to use as an alternative, XMPP client would cover the IM side, the SIP client would have to be registered as a 3rd party SIP device for calls.

If you find a client that can do XMPP/SIP at the same time, then you could do with just one client, with the understanding that most likely many of the features you get with Jabber won't be available.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

MRA only works with Jabber and Cisco IP Phones if that's what you're looking for, there's no alternative if you want to use MRA.

If you don't want to use MRA but use VPN you would need to search for XMPP and SIP clients to use as an alternative, XMPP client would cover the IM side, the SIP client would have to be registered as a 3rd party SIP device for calls.

If you find a client that can do XMPP/SIP at the same time, then you could do with just one client, with the understanding that most likely many of the features you get with Jabber won't be available.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Thanks java!  I thought I may need to use a VPN.  I'll check out a few clients and see what I can find.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: